2014 Buffalo State Pumpkin Drop

Shedeene Hewitt, Writer

Fall has currently arrived to Buffalo, and the Bengals were not one to forget. An ongoing tradition for the past six years, the annual pumpkin drop took place at the south wing of the Classroom Building last Tuesday.

The meteorology program joined Stephen Vermette, professor of geography and planning, once again to take part in this fun and enjoyable activity. With the promise of cider, cookies and warm weather, a moderate amount of people arrived to sign their name on the pumpkin. Legend has it that if one signs their name on the pumpkin, it is to bring them good luck. Even if many people do not believe in this superstition, it was still a good excuse for many as a reason for why they wanted to see two pumpkins break apart.

Vermette, the main coordinator within this tradition says that the pumpkin drop is not only a fun activity to ring in the fall bells, but also a bit of a fun way to learn science.

“In the summer, the sun was a 23 and a half degrees north which is our longest day, June 21st and it’s been working its way south. When it gets to the equator, that’s fall. As it keeps going and working its way south this will result in winter, 23 and a half degrees south. However it doesn’t stop there, when it comes back to the equator it will be spring and then it does the cycle all over again,” Vermette said.

Fred Bloom and Marlo Moses were participants in this yearly activity along with the crowd. Bloom, who is a second year graduate student within the multi-disciplinary studies department, shared his view on the drop as an insider in the preparation.

“We spoke two weeks ago about this event and that was it. There was a division of who does what and that got everything going. The event is just something to bring us good luck and to celebrate the fall season,” Bloom said.

On the other hand, Marlo Moses shared her experience as a first year student spectator in the pumpkin’s fall.

“It was funny, to say the least,” she said. “I came for the cider, cookies and the promise of meeting new people, which I got, but the end result was something that I actually enjoyed. This is definitely one creative way to ring in the fall. Hopefully next year there will be bigger pumpkins.”

This is not the only tradition that is held annually.  This group tries to attend parades, or see the groundhog emerge to ring in the winter or spring bells. Whether it be pumpkins breaking or the drinking of cider, fall is here and once again Buffalo State enjoyed it in their own unique way.Teagan Knowles / The Record