Joel Hopkins
Opinion Editor

Buffalo State University debuts first ever acrobatics and tumbling team in New York
Karli Metros

According to the National Collegiate Acrobatics and Tumbling Association, there are 56 institution-sponsored acrobatic and tumbling teams in the United States. Buffalo State University became the first in New York State to host and sponsor a team, launching into their first season this year.

Currently, there are 17 women on the team, including Leah Brown, a freshman from Williamsville, NY. She, like many on the team, comes from a high school cheer background.

“While acrobatics and tumbling are a completely different sport, a lot of my cheerleading skills carried over and made certain acro skills easier to catch on to,” said Brown.

The sport involves tumbling, pyramids, acrobatic lifts, and tosses. Many of the women on the team come from all kinds of backgrounds, such as gymnastics, cheerleading, dance, swimming, and other similar experiences. The team comes together with the hope that this sport will continue to give opportunities to women in the community with athletic backgrounds.

On January 25, 2020, the National Collegiate Athletic Association members in Division II and Division III voted to approve acrobatics and tumbling as an emerging sport for women. On June 17, 2020, members in Division I voted to approve as well. On August 1, 2020, all three divisions became effective, according to the NCATA.

Brown heard about this new sport starting at Buffalo State during her open house visit. The head coach, Alia Stark, had a table in the student union. Brown instantly knew she was interested.

Brianna Blaszak is an assistant coach to Alia Stark. Blaszak was a gymnast for 16 years prior to joining an acrobatics and tumbling team at Gannon University, where she earned the Division II Athletic Directors Association Academic Achievement Award. This then led to her recruitment from Stark.

Blaszak is feeling many emotions being a part of this inaugural team, citing both excitement and nervousness. However, she is very proud of how dedicated the women have been. At their first competition, they hit every event, and for the first time in program history they received a duo tumbling pass heat.

“If people are thinking about joining the team, I would say there’s nothing to lose. Usually, when going into a sport, you are expected to be a pro and have years of experience. Since the acrobatics and tumbling team is so new, everyone is learning together,” said Brown.

As this team continues to make history not only at Buffalo State but in New York as a whole, Blaszak says the community can support these female athletes by showing up to the events.

“At the competitions, everyone gets involved and everyone gets loud.”

She also said sharing what they do on Instagram and Facebook helps spread the word to those who may not know about the sport.

“It’s an honor knowing that each day we are making history not only at our school but on a statewide level,” said Brown.