Dan Almasi
Dan Almasi
Executive Editor

Softball to face No. 1 seed in SUNYAC Championship Tournament

“Right now we just want to have a strong showing and remember why we should be there,” said head coach Jamie Brown.
Evan Harrington
Caitlyn Parsons leads the team in nearly every offensive category and is set to lead the prowl at SUNYACS

The sixth-seeded Bengals are set to face the No. 1 team in the conference, SUNY New Paltz, in game one of the double-elimination tournament. The winner of the game will face the loser of Geneseo vs. Oneonta. The loser of the match against New Paltz will face the loser of Cortland vs. Fredonia.

Like any team, Buffalo State softball (15-18, 8-10 SUNYAC) has had its ups and downs this season — from mercying a few conference opponents to losing star player Deme Kellogg to a hand injury.

“I’m always counting on my captains to lead the way. Hard to not have Deme on the field but she leads from the dugout,” said head coach Jamie Brown.

Nevertheless, the Bengals continue to embrace the challenges and have been putting in that early-morning work on the diamonds to prepare for the SUNYAC Championships Tournament for the second consecutive year.

It’ll be the program’s eighth trip in the last 10 seasons and the 26th trip to the tournament in the last 32 seasons.

“Right now we just want to have a strong showing and remember why we should be there,” said Brown.

For the Bengals –
The last time these two teams met, Buffalo State’s offense was quiet and did not manage any runs. The Bengals are also riding a six-game losing streak to close-out the season, while the Hawks are on a three-game win streak. But, as many people know, it can be hard to beat a team three times in a row.

Caitlyn Parsons is a staple in Buff State’s offense. The senior first basewoman leads the team in hits, total bases, batting average, slugging percentage and on-base percentage, while her .409 batting average places her at tenth in the SUNYAC conference.

Parsons has only struck out twice in 93 at-bats, making her the hardest batter to ‘K’ in the conference, and ranks 36th in the nation for at-bats per strikeout. She also had nine games this season with more than one hit.

Junior Sarah Congelosi also recorded nine games with multiple hits, and she has been a threat on the bases. She’s stolen 19 bases this season (fourth in the SUNYAC), and has only been caught stealing three times in her collegiate career. Congelosi has scored 24 runs this season and the Bengals are 11-3 when she crosses the plate at least once.

Freshman Lexi Quagliana is making statements in the batter’s box this season. She led the prowl with 17 RBIs and managed five games with at least two RBIs during the regular season.

For the Hawks –
SUNY New Paltz is the host of the championship weekend as they are the best team on paper. They’re ranked third in the NCAA DIII Region III. The Hawks have lost only five games this season while winning 31 matches, including a pair of games in which they held the Bengals to six combined hits.

New Paltz’ pitchers, Lindsay Roman and Sydney Waldon, have combined for a 1.45 ERA this season. Roman has managed 75 strikeouts in 124 innings pitched while Waldon has 105 strikeouts in 100.1 innings. Waldon is third in the conference for strikeouts and ERA (1.74) and has only lost one game in the circle.

Kelsey O’Brien leads the Hawks at the plate with a .419 batting average and .470 on-base percentage. She’s managed 49 hits, 21 RBIs, 30 runs scored and is second on the team with 12 stolen bases. Jaycee Filancia posts a .417 batting average and .450 on-base percentage with 50 hits, 20 RBIs, 32 runs scored and leads the team with 17 stolen bases and 17 doubles.

The duo ranks sixth and seventh, respectively, in the conference for batting average.

Jillian Shelbourne is also a name to look out for on the Hawks. Shelbourne had 41 hits this season, 10 of which were doubles, and had 39 RBIs — a team lead.

The game is set for 8:30 a.m. on Thursday in New Paltz, NY.