Buffalo State student putting a new spin on old stories

Thomas Tedesco, Vice President

Sammy Coleman, a junior who studies theater and writing at SUNY Buffalo State is behind the creation of “Samantha’s Storytime,” a show which features narration adaptations of children’s books.

She says the concept for this show was inspired by a conglomeration of her various passions.

“I’m a big advocate for books. I love reading and writing and I’m also involved with acting,” Coleman said.

The show features the story itself as its script with multiple voice actors to portray the characters of the story, a narrator and various sound effects to enhance the storytelling for the radio format.

Coleman says that she listened to audio books often while growing up, which served as another inspiration to focus on narrating children’s stories.

“It kind of gives a new take on these stories that they might have grown up with and kind of bring them to life in a new way,” she said.

In the fall semester, Coleman adapted the book, “Coraline” for the radio. She plans on doing “The Silver Whistle” and “Because of Winn-Dixie” this semester.

Coleman says she hopes both the actors and audience will have a newfound appreciation for the stories they may or may not be familiar with.

“Hopefully, they can get invested in these stories,” she said.

If you are interested in being a part of the show, auditions will be held at the WBNY studio in Room 220 of the Campbell Student Union on Friday, March 11 from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.