Orange Crush Carnival 2014

Davonne Dixon/BSCTV

Ronta' Hill, Reporter

SUNY Buffalo State’s Homecoming Week 2014 came to a close on a high note this year with the annual Orange Crush Carnival.

This USG sponsored event ran from 6:00 to 10:00 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 20.

The past week has seen Buffalo State play host to a variety of fun activities such as pep rallies, Union Bash, sports games, Homecoming Parade and even a lip sync competition. Held in Lot R-14, the event was a carnival in every sense of the word. Music and smiling faces were in no short supply during the event. Visitors were able to feast on traditional treats such as fried dough, corn dogs, pretzels, cotton candy and pizza. Then there was fresh squeezed lemonade and bottled water available to wash it them all down with.

Food was an essential component to the festivities and but then of course, there were the rides. Rides available for students to enjoy were the Tilt-A-Whirl, the Chair Swing, the Octopus, the Giant Slide, a Rock Climbing Wall and the scream-filled Para Trooper. The Para Trooper stood out in particular due to it having been outfitted with the Bengal colors of orange and white.

All of the rides featured at the event were rented from a company called Hammerl Amusements. It is a family owned business that has been in operation for over 50 years. The company itself is located in Williamsville, NY. With a runtime of 4 hours, the carnival saw many Buffalo State students stop over to check things out.

Psychology major and Junior, Olivia Dupuy stated her reasons for attending were “to go on all the rides and to enjoy all of the yummy food.” Pizza and pretzels were specifically mentioned. This was also Dupuy’s second year having attended, with last year’s carnival having been her first experience.

Music Education Major and Sophomore, Jeremy Nesbitt said that he ventured out simply to have fun. While he stated that overall it was a nice event but felt that there weren’t “enough rides for all of the students that showed up.” He noted that if people “patiently waited for the ride” that it all ended up being “pretty cool.”

Both Dupuy and Nesbitt live on campus, Tower 2 and North Wing respectively. But there were also students who reside off campus that stopped by.

India Jones, who is a Fashion Merchandising Major and Junior, simply stated that she came “to check it all out and see what all was going on.” She said that the carnival itself was a cool thing to have had happen and that overall, she enjoyed herself.

Aside from the students in attendance, the carnival was also seen as a success from the viewpoint of USG’s E-board as well. Executive Vice President and Vocal Music Education major Emily Leminger noted this following the event. For the past five years USG has sponsored the carnival and Leminger stated that everything went extremely well with an estimated 5 to 600 students having attended. Additionally, the festivities were rain and disturbance free and saw some amazing teamwork and participation on the part of the E-board.

Attendance was free for all Buffalo State Student’s with a valid school ID.