Joel Hopkins
Opinion Editor

Softball shutout Friday, loses both games to SUNY New Paltz

The Bengals offense managed six hits in the doubleheader
Buffalo+States+offense+seemed+to+struggle+against+the+SUNY+New+Paltz+Hawks+
Kayla Sterner
Buffalo State’s offense seemed to struggle against the SUNY New Paltz Hawks

Buffalo State softball (15-14, 8-6 SUNYAC) struggled to find their rhythm on Friday and fell to SUNY New Paltz (26-4) as they failed to score a single run in either game.

Game 1, L 0-2
Izzy Pezdek was in the circle for the first game and she allowed five hits and two runs, in addition to striking out two batters.

Sarah Congelosi was 2-of-3 at the plate while Caitlyn Parsons was 1-of-3. Those were the only three hits from the Bengals.

New Paltz managed five hits while their pitcher struck out six of the Bengals.

Congelosi started off the first inning with a hit, but was left on base. The same thing happened in the top of the second inning with Parsons. The Hawks scored in the first inning on a sacrifice line drive to lead 1-0 over Buffalo State.

A double in the bottom of the fifth inning scored another run for New Paltz, which gave them a 2-0 advantage.

Neither team generated a run for the remainder of the game, which validated the loss for the Bengals.

Game 2, L 0-6
Things did not get much better for Buff State, as they were not able to put runners on base or score in the second match.

Kaitlyn Schnitzer, Emma Hooftallen and Madison Lucas split time in the circle. Schnitzer allowed six hits and one run to score in 2.2 innings while Hooftallen pitched 2.1 innings and allowed four hits and two runs. Lucas allowed four hits and three runs in one inning.

Congelosi, Parsons and Grace Albano each had one hit β€” the only three hits of the game. There were seven strikeouts for the Bengals.

Congelosi was walked in the top of the first inning and then stole second, but was left on base after a strikeout, fly out and ground out followed her.

The game was tied at zero until the bottom of the third when New Paltz scored. Then, Hooftallen came in to relieve Schnitzer.

The Hawks put up a crooked number in the fifth to extend their advantage over the Bengals. New Paltz added another three runs to the board in the bottom of the sixth inning to make it 6-0, which proved to be the final score as Buff State went three-up, three-down to close out the inning.

The Bengals will travel to Oneonta, NY to face Oneonta in a doubleheader on April 27. First pitch is set for 12 p.m. and 2 p.m.