Alex the Great’s fantasy football advice: Week 2

Buffalo Bills tight end Charles Clay had a big Week 1 against the New York Jets. He may be the tight end that you need.

The Fantasy reaper has struck again. I would like to start with a moment of silence for arguably the best fantasy player in the game, David Johnson. The Arizona Cardinals’ all-purpose running back has been placed on the IR after a wrist injury in the game against the Lions. He is expected to be out at least two to three months.

Week 1 was an overall bust when it comes to the usual fantasy studs but with that being said there are a lot of interesting waiver wire options heading into Week 2.

The most notable break out player of opening weekend was the rookie Tarik Cohen. The Chicago Bears tailback exploded for 66 yards on five carries and nabbed eight catches for 47 yards and a touchdown. The Bears are thin on playmakers so Cohen can have an immediate impact. Wide out Kevin White broke his shoulder blade, according to reports, making Cohen’s stock rise.

There are a few other interesting running backs up for grabs that have some potential high upside. Keep an eye on the Ravens’ Javorius “Buck” Allen, Texans’ D’Onta Foreman, Seahawks’ Chris Carson, and Johnson’s backup Kerwynn Williams who look to expand their roles in their respected offenses.

Having tight end problems? Bills TE Charles Clay had a nice showing against the New York Jets catching 4 of 9 targets for 53 yards and a score making him worth a roster spot. Second-year man Austin Hooper of the Atlanta Falcons went off on two catches for 122 yards and a touchdown. While the targets weren’t there Week 1, Hooper certainly made the most of them and may have earned a bigger role in this offense at tight end.

As always Week 1 brought some interesting sleeper rookie wide receivers. Lions’ wide out Kenny Golladay made in four catches for 69 yards and touchdown in Detroit’s win over the Cardinals. While currently being the third receiver on the Lions, Golladay has the talent and size to become an immediate red zone threat in a pass happy offense.

St. Louis wide receiver Cooper Kupp also had a solid showing in the Rams’ Week 1 win over the Colts and could turn out to be a viable flex play in PPR Formats.