Arbor Day and Sustainability Fest a success despite weather

Maris Lambie, Reporter

Despite the strong winds, SUNY Buffalo State students and faculty gathered in crowds outside the Student Union for the Arbor Day and Sustainability Festival.

The festival took place on April 21 from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. in the Campbell Student Union Quad. The event was part of the campus Arbor Day celebration, organized by EVERGREEN services, and the Students for Sustainability programs. The festival had tables with on and off campus campaigns to spread awareness, free hot dogs, t-shirt giveaways, and a tree planting ceremony. A flowering dogwood tree was planted during the tree planting ceremony. Normally, the festival is held on Arbor Day, but it changed due to the cold weather.

“We’re raising awareness so students know what role sustainability plays,” said Ashley Coleman, a Buffalo State student and member of Students for Sustainability.

Students for Sustainability is a campus organization that formed in the past year and works on bringing positive changes to the environment within their community.

“What sustainability means is that we’re making sure what we’re doing now doesn’t harm our planet in the future,” Coleman said.

The Students for Sustainability raised awareness by having students make tie-dye shirts and arrange an Earth Week Campus Cleanup Day on April 25.

“Every few years we had to skip because of the weather,” said John Bleech, environmental programs coordinator for Buffalo State.

Bleech hoped to raise awareness from his booth during the festival.

“People need to understand where our drain water goes, and keeping out sidewalks and walkways clean,” Bleech said. “Water is a precious resource and we need to protect it.”

The booths provided an opportunity for students interested in volunteer work to sign up.

“We’re trying to raise awareness and to find volunteers,” said Andrea Locke, WNY Prism coordinator. “We’re looking for a seasonal crew.”

WNY Prism works together to control non-native species that pose a threat to human health, biodiversity, as well as economic costs.

“We’re just trying to spread the word,” Locke said.

Maris Lambie can be reached via email at [email protected]