Are online classes worth taking?

Are online classes worth taking?

I’m 22 years old and I’ve been in college on and off for the past four years. I’ve worked long hours and have slept very little during most of that time. I understand the appeal of online classes, but I think that we can get more out of a class by attending it on campus regularly.

Don’t get me wrong, I do see the appeal of taking classes on your own time between jobs and other activities. I would love to save gas and not drive 40 minutes to classes just to spend another ten minutes searching for parking.

I have been the girl who slept through her first class because she was up late doing homework after an 8-hour shift at a minimum wage job.

I have even had classes that I dreaded going to because I hate talking in class and I had to do an oral presentation. During these times, I would love to just go on my computer and do the assignment without worrying about attendance points or missing an important lesson.

However, I don’t think students that take online classes get the full experience and knowledge provided by going to a classroom.

There is less room for communication between the professor and the students or the students and their peers.

Part of the reason students like their classes is because they enjoy the environment, their professors and their classmates. I like that the classroom setting can be unpredictable, especially with the smaller class sizes. I gain interest in a classroom that a computer cannot provide.

Also, I can’t go on Facebook or Twitter or turn on the TV in a classroom, so I’m less likely to become distracted.

Another problem with online classes is that many students take them thinking that they are easy, and they don’t intend on putting in the work to get their education. Other times, these classes actually are absurdly easy, perhaps because professors lower the bar, assuming that students who take online classes won’t do the necessary work to pass.

I like to be challenged by my classes. I enjoy going to a classroom and discussing topics that I can find interest in. There is much to gain in listening to other people’s points of view and having my own challenged or questioned. If I have a question, I like to get a response immediately. With online courses, you have to email your professor and may have to wait a long time for a response.

Online classes don’t give students the education that they pay for. As much as I can understand the purpose and usefulness of taking online courses, I would rather use my gas and go to class.

Charity Wimmer can be reached by email at [email protected].