Francis Boeck
Francis Boeck
Executive Editor

Residents participate in worldwide protest day as conflict in Palestine enters its sixth month

Jewish Voice for Peace-Buffalo coordinated a demonstration at Elmwood and Bidwell.
Devin Hogan
Demonstrators take to the streets in protest of the ongoing atrocities happening in Palestine.

Buffalo residents participated in a peaceful demonstration March 2 to protest the ongoing humanitarian crises occurring in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank in occupied Palestine.

The demonstration, organized by the Buffalo faction of the human rights organization Jewish Voice for Peace, began with a ceremonial breaking of the bread. This was two-fold action. The first message highlighted was that in the Jewish faith, breaking bread is very sacred. This demonstration occurred on the Shabbat, or the Judaic Sabbath, making this action that much more meaningful. Secondly, the bread was a symbol to a specific atrocity that occurred in the Gaza Strip on Feb. 29, an event dubbed the Flour massacre.

Over 100 Palestinian civilians were killed and over 700 were injured during an aid drop off in Gaza City, where Israeli soldiers overlooking the convoy of aid trucks opened fire on the crowds desperate for flour and other commodities.

This transgression comes during a time of extreme starvation in the region due to Israel’s blockade of aid at the beginning of the conflict. While the UN reported in December that over five hundred thousand people are starving in Gaza, it can be assumed that the situation has become more dire in the months following.

“Let’s be clear: Israel is using starvation as a weapon of war in its ongoing assault on ordinary Palestinians”, said Jewish Voice for Peace-Buffalo member Derek Seldman. “Gaza is on the brink of famine. The whole world is crying out for a ceasefire. We’re beyond shocked that our elected officials continue to support and fund Israel’s horrific and unending war. As Jews of conscience, we will not look away and we will not be silent. We’re staring at genocide and famine right in the face. More than ever, never again is now.”

Sol Verma, a student at Buffalo State, was in attendance at the demonstration.

“This is not just a Palestinian issue,” he said. “This is a human rights issue. This is an issue that affects so many people’s lives. Our money is going to this, and we need that to stop. We cannot let this genocide continue any longer.”

If you are looking to get involved with this ever-progressing issue – among many other intersectional causes – the following local organizations are a great place to start:

Jewish Voice for Peace-Buffalo Instagram
Gaza on Main Instagram
Buffalo DSA Instagram
Marxist Youth League Buffalo Instagram