Head over heels: the new sports team to look out for
View All
Staff Spotlight
Joel Hopkins
Opinion Editor
Survey

What's the worst way to end a semester?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Future uncertain for the Writing Center

Antoine Lopez
The Buffalo State Writing Center.

For many years, the Writing Center at Buffalo State University has been a crucial tool for many students’ success. However, the university is currently in talks of combining its four tutoring services, including the Writing Center, into one entity, leaving the fate of the center uncertain.

Faculty Director Margaret Herb says that although the idea has been suggested, no final decisions have been made yet.

“There have been discussions related to the restructure of the tutoring support offices and their leadership on campus,” she said.

Calogero Tiermini, student and graduate assistant director of the Writing Center, says that the center has been vital for students who struggle with all areas of writing. He says that such a decision would not only negatively impact the Writing Center staff, as some may lose their jobs, but will alter the experience for students who depend on their expertise. He warns his colleagues not to take these discussions lightly.

“Due to their precarious position at the negotiating table, the staff of the Writing Center should be very cautious on how they proceed,” he said.

At this time, there is no specific date as to when a decision will be made. Regardless of the outcome, students will continue to receive access to adequate tutoring services in all subjects.