Forced Campus Walk housing unfair to senior students

Beginning in the Fall 2017 semester, seniors at SUNY Buffalo State will no longer be able to request campus housing. Seniors have been encouraged by the school to seek housing with Campus Walk.

Joel Hopkins/The Record

Joel Hopkins/The Record

Edwin J. Viera, Columnist

Campus Walk is the newest building at Buffalo State, and it is primarily being used to house the seniors that are being forced off of campus. Seniors are leaving the campus because of a new residence life rule.

“Beginning next academic year, Fall 2017, senior standing students (90 credits or more) will no longer be able to request campus housing during the room selection process. As such, rising senior-level students are encouraged to seek their housing need with Campus Walk for Fall 2017.

However, rising senior-level students can request to be placed on the Buffalo State housing “wait list,” but housing will only be provided based on space availability, which will be determined in July 2017.” -Letter sent from Buffalo State to students

With this decree, many students began to scramble to find off-campus housing. Though many ran flocking to Campus Walk for an apartment, they found that they were getting into more than they could handle, although the building does include many amenities for residents to enjoy.

Amenities for the building include a fitness center, a tech hub with Macs and PCs & free printing, bicycle storage, a student friendly retail space on the first floor, private study rooms on every floor, private parking, an outdoor fire pit, 1 GB high-speed internet, and so much more. Each apartment also comes fully furnished with residents still able to add personal touches here and there.

The building is an ideal place for college students to live and be themselves. However, there is one major issue: the price. Prices for apartments are 835 dollars a month, or more, per person.

Note that this number is not the total of each persons rent in the apartment. Each individual in the apartment is responsible for paying the large sum for the room they are living in. The amount that one person will pay to live in this building would almost be enough to pay two semesters of in-state tuition, whether you are a commuter, live off campus on your own, or live on-campus.

Some of the push back from this has resulted in a rival building being created: Monarch 716. They offer similar amenities that Campus Walk does, but also have a bowling alley and tanning booths. Though these are great, students only really need the computer lab and the free printing.

Both complexes charge the same amount because of the vast amenities that, usually, would be charged as a part of Buffalo State’s tuition. This at least seems more honest though, because at least you already know it is a large sum. With Campus Walk & Monarch 716, in order to find out the prices you have to get ready to sign a lease.

Students aren’t exactly thrilled, but now they are left with no alternative because housing can be quite difficult.

While this new policy has pushed students to the limit, it also wasn’t very necessary since a large number of seniors move off of campus anyway. One reason many people aren’t happy about it is because it forced the idea of living in Campus Walk on students with no alternatives except getting an actual apartment in Buffalo.

Both complexes are set to open in August, just before the fall semester begins at Buffalo State. Though they have everything a student would need, it seems monumentally easy to allow students just to live on campus if they need to.

email: Viera.record@outlook.com

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Forced Campus Walk housing unfair to senior students”

1. Sarah johnson on May 4th, 2017 10:28 am

I signed a lease there and this article was poorly researched and written. Campus Walk does work with financial aid and it is cheaper than STAC…

[Reply]

2. Deneise Robinson on August 15th, 2017 9:24 am

I applied to campus walk for my twins. I do not meet the income requirement and it cost 900 a month. The college fails to mention that students moving off campus .. Who “choose” like it is a choice will lose financial aid. Like perkins loans. I do not understand how the president was allowed to do this. I have two honor roll deans list students with no place to live. I am a poor single parent with no extra money to help my kids live off campus and they will probably have to withdraw after all their hard work. People need to be complaing to the govenor and letting all the new york state high schools not to send there kids to a school that would rather put there kids in the street then support them to the end.

[Reply]

*

• Forced Campus Walk housing unfair to senior students

City & Region

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: The Re-Imagining of Buffalo, by Mayor Byron Brown

City & Region

Society must entirely re-think local print journalism

City & Region

The ‘Uber question’ is lacking answers

• City & Region

Proud to call Buffalo home as the city returns to former glory

Column

Alex the Great’s Week 6 Fantasy Football Recap

Campus

Study abroad with the Anne Frank Project in Rwanda

Campus

Event-filled PULSE Week raised awareness of women’s rights and race issues

OPINION

REVIEW: Pre-Teen Nightmares come Alive in New Netflix Comedy

Campus

Bengal Success is a new way to bring academic help directly to students

Arts & Entertainment

First Annual HRVST Festival is a Success