5 tips for success during your college years

Olimpcia Desamour, Reporter

Being in college can either the best years of your life, or the worst times of your life depending on how you approach it.

After my two years of being in college I have realized that there is always a way to have fun, enjoy the college years and still be a successful student. These five things have always seemed to work for me and my friends, so I hope they work for you.

1. Join organizations: Usually in a school there are several organizations, fraternities, sororities, etc. to join. From my personal experience, it is always great joining an org because you are able to meet several different people with the same interests as you and you will be out your dorm room for a lot for meetings, events, etc.

2. See an academic adviser: I know that when you get to college, the first thing that you get used to is the independence and just being free to make all of your own choices. But there is nothing wrong with a little bit of help from time to time. Seeing an adviser allows you to get advice for classes, your major, and your academic future in general. Your academic adviser should be your best friend because they give you valuable advice that ensures success for the future.

3. Decorate your dorm room: I know this may not seem important but it is actually very helpful. When you personalize your room, it allows you to feel a little bit more comfortable in a new environment. Especially if you have a roommate, it makes the shared space feel a little bit more personal and you sometimes feel like you are in your own room.

4. Get to know your classmates: When first entering college the classes and the course loads may come off as very overwhelming, especially if none of your friends ever took the classes. Getting to know your classmates may help with that. Even if it is only one person, it is still very beneficial. It comes in handy when you can’t make it to class and they are able to provide you with the class notes and assignments. It is also great because you instantly have a study buddy or just someone to do homework with.

5. Make time to go out: It is true that we all come to school to get our degrees and when we are here we must focus to achieve that goal, but there isn’t any harm in having a little bit of fun. Making time to go out is very crucial because it allows you to give yourself a break from all the stress of class and work if you have a job. I’m not saying go out every single night, but there is nothing wrong with having a little fun with your friends on the weekend to ease your mind and allow you to relax for the following week.

email: [email protected]