This 1999 issue of The Record begs the question: Has what it means to be “liberal” changed?

In 1999, The Record was.. uh.. not so politically correct

This+humorous+piece+with+a+list+of+fat+jokes+caused+quite+a+bit+of+outrage+on+the+Buffalo+State+campus+in+1999.+

Dan Almasi/The Record

This humorous piece with a list of fat jokes caused quite a bit of outrage on the Buffalo State campus in 1999.

Dan Almasi, Executive Editor

DISCLAIMER: Offensive content.

It’s #ThrowbackThursday… today, a Feb. 1999 issue of The Record has invoked some thoughts about how ambiguous the term “liberal” is.

By definition, a liberal is someone who is “open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values.”

A “liberal” person in 1999 and 2017 probably have similar values and beliefs as far as most political and social issues go, but in the realm of political correctness, the role of a “liberal” has changed.

In 2017, liberals are often criticized for being “oversensitive snowflakes” or “PC (politically correct) libtards” by ultra-conservatives.

But in 1999, The Record was.. uh.. not so politically correct, and I’ll bet if you asked someone if Carl Burke was acting liberally by writing a piece called “You know she’s fat when…” they would have said yes.

Speaking from the perspective of a friend with a fat girlfriend, he says, “You want to warn him about the excess, but it can be tough on his feelings. So, being the champ that you are, you keep your fat mouth shut as you revel about the fact that it’s not you who has to tear that ass up.”

And if it’s not too blurry, give #3 a read. I’m not even comfortable enough to type it out in quotations.

This guy is a savage.  I can only imagine the outrage this would stir up in today’s post-body-image-revolution society.

But don’t worry, he did end up getting reamed out in not one, but two letters-to-the-editor. One writer indignantly and hilariously signed as “La Nova’s #1 customer.”

“Mr. Burke seems to be above any rational thinking when he writes this crap he calls journalism. I have been a student here for three years and I am offended that anyone would allow his opinions to be published, because obviously they are offensive and demeaning to the other students here,” she writes.

Buffalo State student Michael Queen was “shocked” and “offended.”

I couldn’t find any letters-to-the-editor posted about this interesting call for new writers, though:

The same guy that came up with a bunch of fat jokes wrote an op-ed that went from comparing Bill Clinton to Hitler to erotica involving James Bond and a middle-eastern princess from a wealthy oil-drilling family.

If you’re into that kind of thing.

Also, here are ads for a $1,100 computer with a 6.4 GB hard drive and a Sarah Michelle Gellar and Reese Witherspoon movie, because 1999.

Twitter: @Almasi_