Bengals hockey gets league win, 4-2

Dave DeLuca/The Record

Senior Mike DeLaVergne will move on to play for ECHL’s Atlanta Gladiators.

Francis Boeck, Associate Sports Editor

The numbers lined up almost perfectly for the Buffalo State men’s hockey team Friday night.

In the penalty-filled game, the Bengals (15-4-1, 7-3-1 SUNYAC) out shot, outplayed and most importantly outscored Morrisville State (3-16-3, 2-9-2 SUNYAC) in its 4-2 win over the Mustangs in SUNYAC action.

It’s not too often that you see a goaltender called for a penalty, but that’s what happened as Mustang goaltender Jared Young was called for tripping. The Bengals took advantage as Taylor Pryce found Jake Rosen for the game’s first goal.

In the second period, Buffalo State got another man-advantage and Bengals’ head coach Steve Murphy sent out that same power play group back on the ice. This time, Rosen found Zach Nieminen for the score. Later on, Colin O’Connor found Zach Remers to give the Bengals the three-goal lead.

After not scoring in his first 18 games, freshman John Colley now has a two-game goal steak as Ben Butcher found him on the power play with less than two minutes left in the period.

Buffalo State converted on 3 of 7 power play opportunities.

Morrisville State finally got on the board in the final minute of the second. Nick DeVito found CJ Stubbs to cut the Buff State lead to 4-1.

The Bengals outshot the Mustangs 20-8 in the second period.

At the end of the second period, tensions rose quickly as Joseph Santino speared Anthony Beaumont. Santino was given a game misconduct and the Mustangs had a five minute major penalty to start the third. Beaumont was called for tripping.

The Mustangs successfully killed off the major penalty and began to fight back in the third period.

Roberts Smits went to the box for slashing and the Mustangs took advantage as Jordan Carvalho found Henry Hearon who took a shot from the point which got through to come within two goals of the Bengals about halfway through the third period.

Morrisville State took a total of 10 penalties and spent 34 minutes in the box.

Both teams will travel to Buffalo for the second game of the home-and-home series between the two teams. Face off on Saturday will be at 7 p.m. at the Buffalo State Ice Arena.