Bike theft stinks, SkunkLock works to prevent grand theft bicycle

Jillian LeBlanc, Opinion Editor

Tired of getting your bike stolen at SUNY Buffalo State? There’s an app for that. Not really, but there is a new invention that will save your noble steed.

SkunkLock is no ordinary dollar tree bike lock; rather it’s a security measure sure to keep petty thieves away from your property. This simple U-shaped bike lock looks normal to the eye, but if someone touches it the wrong way, his or her day is sure to be ruined. If someone were to grab the lock by one of the four white horizontal stripes, the deceptive device would promptly make that person sick.

The stripes are chemically enhanced to temporarily induce sickness, stopping the thief in their tracks. According to CNN, SkunkLock is said to make perpetrators vomit, or make it hard for them to see or breathe.

Needless to say, this sounds useful but terrifying. If someone accidentally bumped this thing, they would find themselves in an uncomfortable situation. Plus the effects sound like they can be detrimental to one’s health.  Luckily creators Daniel Idzkowski and Yves Perrenoud answered some of these eyebrow-raising questions, making their product appear legitimate rather than Dr. Frankenstein’s latest invention.

According to Idzkowski and Perrenoud, SkunkLock is a safe and legal product, which aims to effectively stop thieves in the act. Idzkowski told CNN that the chemical compound is devised of fatty acids, which can be found in everyday foods such as rancid butter or parmesan cheese.

Think of it as instant karma. Assailants pay for their crime as they commit it, immediately making them think about the consequences of their actions. And while the effects still sounds somewhat alarming, the idea is ingenious, especially for the frugal college student.

Most college students have limited funds, and while a bike is not the most expensive purchase, that number is then doubled when you have to purchase a replacement. And in the meantime, you are out a convenient method of transportation. Bet you wish you upgraded, you and the other 1.5 million bicycle owners whose bikes are stolen every year.

While the estimated cost has yet to be determined, the potentially pricy lock might be worth the investment. It’s like buying insurance for your smartphone. Will you accidentally break your phone within the next two years? That’s hard to say, maybe, maybe not, but you have the opportunity to protect your property from any hiccup down the road. Getting your bike stolen could be a big hiccup.

Unfortunately the bike riders of the world will have to wait a little longer to get their hands on this product. Hopefully SkunkLock will be available in the summer, just in time to protect Buff State from their tenacious thief.