BSC-TV pulls the plug on station after setbacks and receiving USG funding cuts

The Record file photo

Despite setbacks, Buff State television station, BSC-TV, is continuing to produce content on social media.

Olivia Smith, Associate News Editor

SUNY Buffalo State’s television station, BSC-TV, had some problems getting its feet off the ground this semester.

From a lack of funding, to a budget cut, to a broken transmitter and more, the student-run station continues to run into problems that have kept them from broadcasting how they wish.

BSC-TV will lose five percent of their funding because a representative did not show up to one of  the United Student Government’s meetings.

Co-advisor of the club and media production professor, Aaron Daniel Annas, admits that the cut was at the fault of BSC-TV, and says that there was some confusion as to who would be at the meeting.

“We should have had someone there,” Annas said. “Showing participation in USG is important… BSC-TV has to prove they’re active.”

BSC-TV took another hit when their transmitter broke. The same type of transmitter could not be purchased, because they are no longer sold. The station did there research, found what would be needed, and can only operate with a new transmitter, which would cost $23,000 to change from standard (S.D.) definition to high definition (H.D.).

The money for the transmitter can only come from USG funds.

“Even though it’s a large chunk of money, it’s little compared to other groups [who receive funding,]” he said. “Our hands are tied.”

With a new transmitter, Annas said BSC-TV would be able to broadcast to Channel 3, which reaches all places at Buffalo State with cable hookups, including dorms. Currently, Annas said Channel 3 is being used to broadcast another channel of ESPN.

“BSC-TV wants to be the voice of the students,” Annas said. “But they’re limited without a microphone to talk through.” He hopes that USG recognizes this.

BSC-TV has since then been losing feed without being able to broadcast. However, the station is still sending people out to cover events on campus and posting them on their Facebook and YouTube pages.

By posting to Facebook and YouTube, BSC-TV has had to change the way they broadcast, and make videos suitable for this type of audience, as opposed to a television show.

“You just don’t have as much pedigree when you say you’re posting something to Facebook,” Annas said.

“At the beginning of the semester, our goal was to have programming slots and a schedule,” Annas said. “That makes it a fixer, or something that’s real.”

BSC-TV also hopes to become part of a united media group between The Record and the campus radio station, 91.3 FM WBNY. The goal is for all communication entities to be located in one place.

According to Annas, letters were presented to USG from student leaders and faculty, and the process is moving forward to find the space for the groups.

As for now, Annas is pleased with the way BSC-TV is functioning despite the problems.

“I’m so proud of all dedication of this core group,” he said. “They really care so much about it.”

Annas notes that BSC-TV has worked hard to recruit new members, but many don’t stay.

“Keeping people interested is hard,” Annas said. “We need to institute a feeling of pride in this school.”

He added that is a separate problem, and when freshmen come in, they should be excited about joining an organization, instead of feeling like “they’re forced to be here…”

As for the student medium, Annas hopes the groups can grow together.

“You are the voice of the school,” Annas said.