This week in Record history: The evolution of students

Staff Reports

The Record has been here for a long time,103 years to be exact. The centennial celebration has already passed, but the past is not forgotten.

The Record’s archive is all online! The Buffalo State Digital Commons posted the stories all on Buffalo State’s website.

This makes us look back on what stories SUNY Buffalo State produced over the years. On Nov. 2, 1984, The Record published ‘BSC History – part 4.’ The story was titled “Former students reflect on life at college.”

Ironically, back then the staff was also looking at its past.

“According to former BSC students, life at BSC was quite different than it is today,” it began.

“When I went to school things were certainly different. There were only four buildings that made up the campus,” Marjorie Barnett, a graduate of BSC in 1934 in the home economics department, said to the paper. “Back then we didn’t’ have any dormitories. Most of the students were commuters and had to take the bus or the trolley car.”

Buffalo State expanded a lot since the 1930s, of course. However, it wasn’t only the growth of the number of buildings but the activities on campus as well.

“We didn’t have the vast amount of social activities like you do now,” said Alice Albie, BSC grad in 1931 who majored in early education. “We had dances and some sororities, but that was about it.”

One caveat for these students is that they graduated at the time of the Great Depression. Their time allotted is much different than today’s day and age.

The story also interviewed other graduates, like one who graduated in 1946, in the World War II-era.

“I was head of the stage crew,” Joyce Groetsch, a home economics major, said. “I went to dances. But this was during the war and there were only six men in my graduating class. So there weren’t many men on campus because most of them had been drafted to serve in the war.

“But the girls had to go on. I supposed though that it would have been more fun if there had been men around. The only male contact we had was when some of us went down to the USO and served cocoa to the men.”

The USO was the United Service Organizations Inc. Its goal was to help the families of the service members and the members themselves.

Life at Buffalo State is much different than it is in 2016. And in 2017, it’ll change even more.

To see the entire archive of The Record go to digitalcommons.buffalostate.edu/the_record/.