Strong-arm robbery suspects at large, investigation underway

Patrick Koster, News Editor

Registered SUNY Buffalo State students received an alert Oct. 15 about a strong-arm robbery that took place near Coyer Field along Grant Street early that same morning.

A male student was walking on the grass between Coyer Field and Grant Street when a car stopped near him around 2:45 a.m.

“Two male suspects got out of the car and attacked the victim, taking his wallet and cell phone,” the email stated. “After the robbery, the victim ran to the main entrance of the Student Apartment Complex and called University Police from a blue light phone for assistance. The student victim was treated at the scene for minor injuries.”

The suspects were described as black males with facial hair, wearing black hooded sweatshirts. They fled the scene in the car.

“The case is under active investigation and there are no updates at this time,” University Police Chief Peter Carey said. “We are still investigating information about the car and suspects.”

Anybody with further information should call University Police immediately at (716) 878-6333.

“University Police reminds all members of the campus community to be aware of their surroundings at all times and to take advantage of the safe escort programs available,” the email continued. “UPD provides a walking companion or a ride on campus free of charge to all students, faculty, and staff, 24 hours a day. A personal walking escort to your car or residence hall can be requested by calling University Police at ext. 6333 (878-6333) from a campus or blue-light phone. The escort shuttle van runs from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 a.m. daily and can be tracked via the SmartTraxx app from your mobile device. More information is available online at http://police.buffalostate.edu/safeescort.”