Money brings society happiness for a finite period of time

Edwin J. Viera, Columnist

Happiness is something that can stay forever, or make a mark on someone that can help them to be even more content in life. In Daniel Gilbert’s novel, ‘Stumbling on Happiness,’ he wrote, “Teenagers get tattoos because they are confident that DEATH ROCKS will always be an appealing motto. Smokers who have just finished a cigarette are confident for at least five minutes that they can quit and that their resolve will not diminish with the nicotine in their bloodstreams.”

Money is one major thing that can bring happiness that can range from a smile to becoming an instant memory.

Feeling happy depends on how a person reacts to receiving certain gifts – small tokens of gratitude from someone that person knows, watching a comedian perform, or a variety of good things people do to feel happy for as long as they want. Money is something that can be added to someone’s life, and give the feelings of happiness, and get them to show their desires in life. Money and happiness are like oil and water, but now they are seemingly more like hydrogen and oxygen.

In this day and age of being college students with stress, classes, and the knowledge that Amazon delivers with a few days, we’re more likely to buy things we don’t need. We get iPhone cases knowing that we have plenty in our desk, and we buy clothes knowing that the dresser can’t hold anything else. Are we so starved for happiness that we attempt to buy our happiness?

Is it possible that we have been wrong all this time? Can we give ourselves a quick burst of happiness with money or are we deluding ourselves? I couldn’t help but wonder.

Can money buy happiness?

The phrase “Money can’t buy happiness” is something that many people say, but they don’t realize that it can bring you closer to what makes you happiest in life. People often receive money as a special gift from family members that live far away as a birthday present, or as a holiday gift.

Sometimes the only way to gain happiness is to buy something you love or something that you want. But will it provide you with long-lasting happiness or short-term happiness? Maybe people should be making purchases that create experiences, and even memories, not just fleeting moments of happiness.

Money is something that people get as a present, or just for doing chores around the house. It could either be getting the money or what someone does with that money that can make them happy. Some people would use it to accomplish a life goal, such as

taking an island vacation. Or people can buy something that they will remember for the rest of their lives.

“… money can buy us some happiness, but only if we spend our money properly,” said Jonah Lehrer in a blog post titled Money and Happiness on ScienceBlogs. “Instead of buying things, we should buy memories.”

Lehrer states that people can make memories if they use their money wisely, but does it make the long mark on a person’s life is the question that should be asked. If a person uses their money right, they can make a memorable moment, and something like this can bring long-term happiness to a person. They could also make a small impression with a simple kind act.

Happiness comes and goes, but it may not last as long as people think it will. People use money and get mixed results as to how long the happiness will last in a person. It can last for a long time, or it could make a person have a nice memory. Lehrer said that we should buy memories instead of just different things that we desire that will bring people a short amount of happiness. Long-term happiness and short-term happiness are achievable through money, and how people choose to spend it, and keep their happiness for as long as possible.

In Jiddu Krishnamurti’s Life in Freedom, he talks about how man cannot completely be happy unless desire is released. He talks about how technology has changed our lives, but it can’t solve the emotional problems that humans have. Desire is shown through the creative spirits that most people have within themselves. According to the excerpt the only way to achieve freedom is to express desire.

Desire is something that we want, but is unable to be accomplished. He has several great points in his reading, but many of his points are ways of saying no to the Buddhist religion. The teachings of Buddhism say that to achieve Nirvana, complete happiness in life, people must get rid of selfish desire. His points are good, but when viewed from a different light, it seems like he has a hidden agenda in mind. Perhaps we can buy happiness, but we choose how to interpret how long the happiness lasts. Maybe if we can make our own happiness instead of being happy in our misery, we can learn to be happy. Sure we can face the stress of everyday life, but as long as we have the money to do so.