Buffalo State Students Kick-Off Voter Registration Drive

NYPIRG, Letter to Editor

Students Seek to Boost Influence of Young Voters

As interest and excitement build for the upcoming presidential, legislative, and municipal elections, students working with the SUNY Buffalo State chapter of the New York Public Interest Research Group (NYPIRG) kicked off a seven-week campaign to register 1,500 students to vote on their campus and ensure that student’s voices are heard this November.

Their efforts are part of NYPIRG’s campaign to register thousands of college students to vote across New York State.

“18 to 24-year-olds account for the lowest percentage of registered voters in this country,” NYPIRG Project Coordinator Wes Thomas said. “We are working to change that.”

On Tuesday, students set up a table at the Campbell Student Union Lobby at Buffalo State to urge their fellow students to register for this year’s local elections. Other volunteers made presentations to classes and student organizations about how to register and the importance of voting. Students were also given information about their voting rights and signed up to help assist voters on Election Day.

“It’s time politicians paid attention to issues I care about,” Buffalo State NYPIRG Board Representative Avery Edwards said, “They will definitely be hearing from me on Election Day.”

Throughout the next six weeks, the Buffalo State NYPIRG chapter will set up tables, hang posters, make classroom presentations and speak one-on-one to students about this issue. Students can also go to the NYPIRG office to register to vote or ask questions. NYPIRG’s voter registration efforts are strictly non-partisan. The deadline to register for the November Election and to enroll or change party enrollment for future primary elections is Friday, Oct. 14.

“This is my first time voting for President,” Nigel Peters said. “I’m excited that I get to vote in such an important local and Presidential Election.”

Efforts will include community and campus voter registration including for National Voter Registration Day on Tuesday, Sept. 27. Interested students can contact NYPIRG at (716) 882-1549 or drop by their office at Campbell Student Union Room 419.

On Election Day, students will also help turnout student voters to make sure their voices are heard.

# # #

The New York Public Interest Research Group (NYPIRG) is New York State’s largest student-directed research and advocacy organization. NYPIRG is a nonpartisan, not-for-profit group established to effect policy reforms while training students and other New Yorkers to be advocates. Through research, public education and outreach, we serve as counterweights to the influence of powerful special interests that threaten our health, safety or well-being.