Stop getting heated over your Starbucks iced coffee

Jillian LeBlanc, Opinion Editor

Starbucks can’t seem to do anything right these days.

A few months back, the Internet was worked up over a simple red cup; now, society’s focus is scrutinizing the content of each glass. This is all thanks to Stacy Pincus, an Illinois woman who recently noticed that iced drinks contain a substantial amount of ice.

Instead of reacting like a calm, levelheaded adult by simply asking for less ice in her drink, this irritated costumer filed a lawsuit. Starbucks is being sued for $5 million on the stance of false advertisement.

The argument claims that iced drinks are under filled, making more space for ice than the desired liquid content. Essentially, customers are paying more for a cold beverage than a hot drink, when the only difference is the cup, and the amount of water in it.

Granted, it is somewhat unfair to pay more for coffee with ice cubes. Someone is basically asking for more water in his or her drink. This is a voluntary request to have less of the expensive product, knowingly and willingly watering down their drink. The price shouldn’t be more, but there are easy ways to outsmart this “unjust” pricing.

The simplest and easiest solution: order the drink at its warm and cheaper price, and simply allow it to cool down before you consume it. This is obviously an unpopular method. We live in an instantaneous world where waiting is for chumps and old people.

Who has time to wait? No one. Or so they claim.

Waiting for coffee to cool isn’t probable because society claims they need it to survive. That’s why the campus coffee shops have a monopoly of ridiculously overpriced beverages. They thrive because we believe in the placebo; we demand our sugar pill each morning, thinking this is the key to our daily success.

It’s how they stay in business. But since we’re all educated adults, let’s think smarter, not harder.

If you’re too impatient and cranky to allow your coffee to cool before consuming, simply ask for a cup of ice on the side. That means you’re paying a cheaper price for a hot drink, and you’re getting a free cup of ice. Now you can add however many ice cubes you please, cooling your drink to the temperature you desire.

Both solutions are simple, easy and require little cognitive thought, yet some people are too good for such things and choose to get lawyers involved.

Starbucks should take a look at their pricing, but a $5 million lawsuit is quite excessive. This battle is unnecessary, and somewhat flawed. Pincus is angry about purchasing a drink and not getting the total amount of fluid ounces she is paying for. But, technically she is receiving more.

Going back to middle school science, ice cubes are water in a solid state. When the air temperature is warm enough, ice cubes will melt, returning the water to a liquid state.

If you allowed the ice cubes in an iced beverage to melt – without drinking from the cup – the liquid would overflow.

And worst case scenario, if you didn’t like the way your drink was made, Starbucks remakes it to ensure you enjoy your product.

There was no need for this lawsuit. It is a waste of time and money for everyone involved. Even Starbucks believes the lawsuit is without merit, since it’s assumed that an iced drink would come with ice.

Someone should tell this Pincus to use her iced beverage to cool down, because this argument simply isn’t worth it.