Rap, Dance and Spoken Word events highlight artistic creativity

Donte’ Hemmans-Murdock, Reporter

Rap, Dance, and Spoken Word was a performance that took place at the Warren Enters Theatre in Upton Hall. The event took place four times from April 21 through the 23 so people could get a chance to experience a new type of fused dancing. The event was faculty choreographed and has been held every year since 2009, but with different types of concepts.

The theatre department, dance program, and Casting Hall Productions all collaborated to put together this lively show. Casting Hall Productions is a student-run company and with funding from United Students Government, they got a chance to formulate this event.

The dances had three different segments that lasted for about 30 minutes each and had a 10-minute intermission. In the back, while the performance was going on, there were images and video clips that pertained to each section.

“The most difficult part was gaining stamina through practice and going out there every night to perform,” Courtney Haeick said.

“The show was pretty good; it was a portrayal of the role of a dystopian society against fascism,” Thomas Topp said. “It was also calling attention to the people against the government.”

The interesting dancing wasn’t the only thing that gained attention from the audience. Music by Lauryn Hill as well Stephen Marley was incorporated so the people could actually feel their dancing as well as understand the theme. The audience all took away something different after attending this event.

They also used props and poetry to excite up the show. The poetry piece was from Maya Angelou’s “A Caged Bird.” Performer Corey Grant was one of the dancers to use poetry to express the central idea of the segment, “Musing of a Moth.”

“It was great. I like the performance it was very intriguing, and very energetic. I liked the way it started off,” stated Nasheila Graham.

“Each section had a different message to it,” Keanna Morrison said. “The Maya Angelou part was different itself, it showed empowerment. Also it was about being yourself, and finding yourself.”

The show consisted of vibrant dancing that people are not normally used to seeing. The loud music, flashing lights, creative moves and words said by the dancers all played their roles to make the show successful.

“Overall we loved working together, we are close with each other and we all worked very hard as well as formed togetherness,” Mary Frances Nicpon said.

This show highlighted how when expressive dancing is combined with different elements a greater central idea is established. With that establishment, the audience was pleased to walk away with something more than a regular dance show.