Campus to welcome The Goo Goo Dolls

Joe Morganti, Reporter

SUNY Buffalo State’s Performing Arts Center at Rockwell Hall has announced “Artists for Autism,” a special benefit concert that will feature an acoustic set from The Goo Goo Dolls. The event will take place on Saturday, April 16 at 8 p.m., and will include performances from Mary Ramsey of 10,000 Maniacs and Cassandra Kubinski.

Tickets are $30 to $35 with a special VIP Meet and Greet option for $125, which all went on sale on March 16. All are available at the Rockwell Hall Box Office and online for purchase.

All proceeds of the concert will go to Canisius College’s Institute for Autism Research. The Institute for Autism Research is a versatile research center dedicated to understanding autism and related developmental disorders and enhancing the lives of those affected and their families.

Researches raise questions involving causes, development, assessment, clinical treatment, and education. Because of this, research has led to development of several new and effective treatments which are provided by Canisius’ I.A.R. staff, community partners and schools.

A sophomore at SUNY Fredonia, Mike Tomasulo, who is planing on attending the concert was asked, “What are your thoughts on the event, and how did you hear about the event?”

Tomasulo responded:

“I think the show has a great message and raises awareness about autism. Even if you don’t necessarily like these bands, it’s not overpriced and it’s for a great cause.

“I heard about this event through one of my professors at school. He recommended that a couple students and I would go,” Tomasulo, said.

The professor Armand Petri, who envisioned Artists for Autism. Petri is a famed music producer whose credits include work with The Goo Goo Dolls, 10,000 Maniacs, Sixpence None the Richer, and many others. Petri’s son, A.J., is autistic and has participated in a community program at the Institute for Autism Research. After seeing great improvement in his son’s social and communication skills, Petri wanted to help create a greater awareness for this community resource.

In 2013, singer-songwriter Kubinski released “Not So Different.” Petri thought it would be a great song to shine a light on the need for additional autism research. The three performers of Artists for Autism recorded a new version of “Not So Different,” which is to be released on the same day as the April 16 concert.

All proceeds from the sale of the song will also benefit the Institute for Autism Research.