Buffalo police investigating death of Buffalo State student, possible hazing by fraternity

Dave DeLuca, Executive Editor

Bradley Doyley, a senior at SUNY Buffalo State, died Thursday night at Buffalo General Hospital, college officials announced Friday.

Doyley, a 21-year-old from Brooklyn, was a business student and a former player on the men’s basketball team. He was set to graduate this spring. His cause of death was not announced.

The City of Buffalo Police Department is investigating an alleged hazing incident involving the fraternity Alpha Phi Alpha and Doyley. Buffalo State president Katherine Conway-Turner released the following statement:

“Buffalo State College is aware of and continues to support the City of Buffalo Police Department’s investigation into an allegation of hazing involving Alpha Phi Alpha and Bradley Doyley at an off-campus location. While the investigation is conducted, the campus chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha has been suspended by both the college the fraternity’s national governing body.”

The Buffalo News first reported that Doyley was pledging the local chapter at the time of his illness late last month, and according to students, “he might have been given some type of concoction to drink that led to the illness,” The News wrote.

“He was throwing up blood,” Michael Panton told the New York Daily News, after speaking to Doyley’s mother about two weeks ago. “They had to take him into surgery and cut open his stomach. She asked us to keep him in our prayers.”

Panton lived next door to Doyley’s parents in Canarsie (southeastern Brooklyn) before they moved to Florida two years ago.

Doyley played for the Bengals for two and half seasons, including starting four games in 2014-15 before leaving the team. His best season came as a sophomore in 2013-14 when he played in all 25 games (21 starts), and averaged 8.7 points-per-game and 4.8 assists-per-game. He also hit a memorable 70-foot, three-quarter court shot at the halftime buzzer to beat Cortland.

“At first, we all thought it was just food poisoning, it turned out to be something more,” said Jordan Glover, a junior guard on the basketball team. “We’re not really sure what happened. Brad was definitely one of the happiest teammates I’ve had at Buffalo State. Whether we were up or we were down, he was never negative. He was very energetic – he could light up a room.”

“I know it sounds like a cliche, but I really mean it when I say that he cared about others more than himself. He always checked up on others no matter how he was doing.”

Buffalo State head coach Fajri Ansari was unable to comment to The Record Friday morning, but did speak to The Buffalo News about Doyley.

“He had a great spirit,” said Ansari, who coached Doyley last season “We still considered him part of our family. He was a great teammate.”

The team will hold a moment of moment of silence at the Sport Arena before the Bengals take on New Paltz at 7:30 p.m.

“He was a valued member of the Bengals men’s basketball team during his first two and a half years on campus and was well regarded by his peers, professors, and former coaches,” Buffalo State president Katherine Conway-Turner said in a statement. “His loss will undoubtedly be felt throughout our community. My heart goes out to his cherished family and friends.”

Many students reacted on Twitter by creating the hashtag #ForeverBrad. Friends of Doyley are working to raise money to help his family with funeral expenses.