Bengals rebound, but still fall short against Fredonia

Dave DeLuca/The Record

Aaliyah Graham and the BGengals lost 85-78 to Fredonia on Friday.

Taylor Moran, Reporter

The Buffalo State women’s basketball team looked to get back on their feet after a devastating 87- 34 loss to Geneseo earlier in the week.

While they managed to stay in the game and played better, they ultimately dropped a second straight game, losing 85-78 to Fredonia on Friday.

The Bengals jumped out to a slim lead the first quarter of the game with a score of 27-25, but they were not able to hold onto it as Fredonia took a 43-42 lead at intermission.

“We made mistakes on defense that we didn’t correct in the beginning,” senior guard Britt Perry said. “Once we had the lead, we didn’t own it enough to make sure that we kept it; our mistakes caught up to us.”

In the third quarter, they hit their stride and led by eight points briefly, but allowed Fredonia to catch up yet again. “We started digging ourselves a hole we could not get out of,” Perry said.

The Blue Devils held on to the win throughout the fourth quarter while shooting 47 percent from the field while the Bengals shot at a 37 percent clip

Perry led Buffalo State with 10 rebounds and 21 points, senior guard Clarissa Matias contributed with 15 points and four assists while sophomore guard Keyonte Edwards grabbed nine boards and scored 13 points. Senior forward Jordan Yastremski added 11 points and 12 rebounds.

“I didn’t want to go out losing. It’s heartbreaking, and it’s embarrassing not just for me, but as a team, we know we can do better. We just need to be on our A game at all times,” Perry said.

This is Perry’s last season with the team as she will graduate this spring. Perry graduated from Hutch Tech High School in Buffalo where she played basketball. She first played college basketball for Medaille before transferring to Buffalo State.

Perry, who was recently awarded SUNYAC Women’s Basketball Player of the Week, leads the team in points this season with 367, 100 more than the next leading scorer.

Now eliminated from the playoff race, the team will move forward to finish the season off strong as they prepare for their final two games of the year this weekend against New Paltz on Friday and Oneonta on Saturday, during which they’ll celebrate senior day.