Playception: Casting Hall to produce a ‘play within a play’

James Janik/The Record

Noises Off will play March 3-5 and 10-12 at Warrens Enters Theatre in Upton Hall. A preview night will be March 2. Tickets are $6 and $3 for the preview night

Sarah Wilczynski, Reporter

The theater department at SUNY Buffalo State never fails to captivate and keep an audience entertained. This spring semester is no exception.

Casting Hall Production’s “Noises Off” is set to grace the Warren Enters Theatre stage in Upton Hall on March 3, 4, 10 and 11 at 8 p.m. and also on March 5 and 12 at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. A preview night will also be performed on Wednesday, March 2 at 8 p.m.

“Called ‘the funniest farce ever written,’ Noises Off presents a manic menagerie as a cast of itinerant actors rehearsing a flop called Nothing’s On. Doors slamming on and off stage, and an errant herring all figures in the plot of this hilarious and classically comical play,” the Buffalo State theater department website said.

Jeremy Catania, who plays Selsdon Mowbray, said “through the comedic aspects of the show, audience members get insight to what the back stage of theater is like, it’s a play within a play.”

“I think Noises Off is a refreshing show that offers people some genuine laughs. I am so proud that this is my first role at Buffalo State,” said Kelsey Jeffs, who appears as Dotty in the production.

“Noises Off is set in England and it is about a play within a play where the actors can’t get it right, and turns into a farcical mess,” Jeffs continued, “I find it especially intriguing to bring British accents to help a college stage. The director, Jennifer Toohey, helps tremendously. I believe that the accent work helps build a very different world, one might say the fourth wall for the audience. The entire show is hilarious and definitely a must-see.”

Tickets for the preview show are $3, and for all other showings are $6. Purchase your tickets online or at the box office in Rockwell Hall.