Bengals top Fisher, advance to semis

Dave DeLuca/The Record

Midfielder Breanna Knight has three goals on 22 shots thus far in her sophomore campaign. She and the Bengals will take on Plattsburgh on Wednesday at Coyer Field in the SUNYAC semis.

Tony Callens, Staff Writer

The Buffalo State women’s soccer team broke the record for the most wins in a season in program history this past Thursday with a 3-1 win over St. John Fisher, pushing their overall record to 14-3-1.

“It’s a surreal feeling,” senior defender Kristina Change said. “We have accomplished so much this season already and I think it’s because we are taking it one game at a time. That has allowed us to focus and to be successful.”

The game against St. John Fisher was suspended for a day due to inclement weather, but was played on Thursday.

Fisher opened up the scoring in the 22nd minute and the Bengals trailed for 11 minutes until midfielder Gabrianna Boldsinki scored her fourth goal of the season to level the score.

Forward Melissa Smith gave Buffalo State the lead with just 18 seconds remaining in the first half. She leads the team in scoring this season with eight goals and six assists.

“I have to continue to play confidently and also have confidence in my team. We are a strong team with threats everywhere on the field,” Smith said.

The score remained 2-1 for the majority of the second half until forward Meghan Allen solidified the win for the Bengals with a goal in the 85th minute.

“The records don’t mean as much to me as the overall achievement of the team. It’s a nice record, but everyone here would trade that record for an appearance in the final,” head coach Nick DeMarsh said.

Buffalo State, now unbeaten in a record 14 straight games with the No. 5 ranking in the Eastern Region of Division III soccer, will face off in the SUNYAC Semifinals against Plattsburgh, a team they beat 2-1 earlier this year. The program has had a rough go in the semifinal round after being bounced from the SUNYAC playoffs in that round the past two seasons.

“We watched how they played in their playoff game against Brockport and we’ve checked our notes. We’ve put together what I think will be the right plan to take on a team that plays the way Plattsburgh does,” DeMarsh said. “Our plan is to not let them play, press them high and hard, make them cough the ball up and punch the ball into the net as many times as we can.”

The game will take place Wednesday at Coyer Field at 1 p.m.

“You can’t look at this season, no matter what happens on Wednesday, as a failure. It’s a success. No matter what, we’ve already won,” DeMarsh said. “However, if we don’t win, I will always look at it with a little sense of disappointment just for the potential that we have.

“You always hope that your players can fulfill as much potential as possible. I think we’re the best team in the league, we’ve proven that over the course of the season and I think everybody would be a little let down if we don’t at least have an appearance in the final.”

As with the entire season, the team’s mindset of “one game at a time” will remain the theme heading into the semifinals.

“I plan to just continue with the mindset I’ve always had. No opponent we play is a walk in the park,” Change said. “It’s going to be a tough game, but I know we’re ready and we plan to do everything we can to play for the title.”