Dear Sean: Don’t rush into the food truck business

Sean E. McCormick, Staff Writer

Staff writer Sean McCormick is beginning a weekly advice column and he’s looking for your questions to get the ball rolling. Send questions to Sean via Twitter @seanemccormick or [email protected]. Here are some submissions Sean has already received.

DEAR SEAN: 

I am thinking about dropping out of school to start a juice truck. Food trucks are the next big thing and everyone who tries my juice tells me it’s terrific. Do you think it’s a good idea?

–JUICY IN BUFFALO

DEAR JUICY IN BUFFALO: 

Have you ever worked on a food truck before? Do you have the capital to pursue this venture? Do you have the appropriate licenses and permits required by health codes and sanitary regulations? What experience do you have running a business? Do your due diligence before you drop out of school. There might be some classes on campus that can help you reach your goal and they will likely save you time and money in the long term.

DEAR SEAN: 

I’ve been single for years. I’ve had flings here and there, but nothing serious. I just met ‘Jen’ and we get along great. But now I realize that my lack of confidence was stopping me from meeting girls. I really like ‘Jen’, but I want to explore. Should I stop talking to her?

–CURIOUS ON CAMPUS

DEAR CURIOUS ON CAMPUS: 

The important thing is to be honest with Jen and to be honest with yourself. If you cannot restrain yourself from being with another woman, you should tell Jen and let her make the decision as to whether or not to continue a relationship with you. Every relationship is different, but all successful relationships share the traits of open and honest communication.

DEAR SEAN: 

Most of my friends are white, except for one friend who is black. Sometimes my friends will use the n-word jokingly in front of my black friend. I know they mean ‘friend’ when they use it, but it makes me uncomfortable. I don’t want to isolate my black friend by making this a big deal, but I don’t want him to secretly dislike me either. I’m not sure what to do.

–CAUGHT IN THE MIDDLE

DEAR CAUGHT IN THE MIDDLE: 

The n-word is tied to historical oppression and violence toward people of African American heritage. No matter how it is intonated, it cannot be ridded of this brutal history. Talk to your friends and let them know you feel the use of this word is wrong and that it is creating a barrier in your friendship. Language is a reflection of our deepest held beliefs and depending how your friends react to this conversation it should give you a good idea about who they are and if you want to continue your relationship with them.

DEAR SEAN: 

I cheated on my girlfriend and got caught. I feel terrible. Our three-year anniversary would have been next week. I’m thinking about getting her flowers. Do you think that it’s a waste of money?

–FLOWER POWER

DEAR FLOWER POWER: 

It’s only a waste of money if you expect something from her in return. If it makes you feel better to give her flowers, by all means, give her flowers.

Send questions to Sean via Twitter @seanemccormick or [email protected]