Albright-Knox, Burchfield Penny showcase new exhibits

Annaliza Guard/The Record

The Burchfield Penny Art Center is part of the Buffalo State campus and offers students free admission with proper ID.

Annaliza Guard, Staff Writer

SUNY Buffalo State is located near two of the most well-known art museums in the area, the Burchfield Penney and the Albright-Knox art galleries.

How can students get the most out of these two museums?

For starters, at the Burchfield Penney, students will find a great experience–especially those interested in art rich in Buffalo history. Exhibits feature several different Buffalo artists, including Charles Burchfield and a current exhibit by Philip Burke that is worth checking out.

The Burchfield Penney is part of the Buffalo State campus and maintains a collaboration with the college. Because of this, students can benefit the most from the museum’s free admission with student ID.

Among the exhibits students can view this fall is the work of Buffalo native Philip Burke. As opposed to Burchfield, Burke offers abstract art in the form of portraits of famous figures ranging from Audrey Hepburn, to Barack Obama, to Tupac. This exhibit that is open until September 13 is called “The Likeness of Being,” and displays his work that has been featured in major publications such as Vanity Fair and the Village Voice. Each portrait is saturated in vibrant color and offers those who aren’t huge fans of art a unique and memorable experience at the Burchfield Penney.

Until Sept. 27, Emil Schult’s “Portrait of a Media Artist Pioneer” will be on display. This is particularly interesting for those who prefer multimedia and graphics. Schult’s work features unique pieces as part of his “reverse glass paintings” which are images behind Plexiglass. The exhibit also features sculptures as well as a film screening, combining audio and visual art. The exhibit explores how people look at images and shows how use of third dimension in art makes a piece come alive. Schult’s work has its root in Buffalo because it pays homage to Buffalo electronic music masters such as Robert Moog.

Schult’s pioneering in “reverse glass paintings” is combined with Burchfield’s abstract conventions in “The Sounds of Charles Burchfield.” The exhibit features the work of art students that Schult instructed at Alfred University. Using Exacto knives and paint, these works of art create scenes that resemble the view looking out of a car window.

Those who fancy history, specifically World War II, will find Robert Blair’s “Selections From a Soldier’s Portfolio” to be of interest to them. Blair fought overseas in World War II and he also served as a combat artist. He was committed to art and had an “intimate understanding” of the scenes he was painting. His dark and dismal watercolor paintings on paper depict destruction, loss and death. Famous scenes include those of the Battle of Berlin as well as what it was like in the camps.

For those looking for an exhibit rich in Buffalo history, the works of the Patteran Society are on display in an exhibit called “A Living Force and Moving Power.” The Patteran Society was made up of a rebellious group of Buffalo artists and was originally created to counteract the more formal art society in Buffalo at the time. It is clear from the diverse works (charcoal on paper, oil on board, egg tempera on panel, acrylic and graphite, mixed media, and sculpture) that the group fostered “free and independent thought.” This exhibit is unique because more female artists at the time were given the opportunity to display their work in this incredibly diverse yet united exhibit.

As for the Albright-Knox, students can enjoy free admission on the first Friday of every month as part of M&T Bank’s First Fridays at the Gallery. The museum is good for those who want to experience artists that go beyond Buffalo.

Until Sept. 13, the unique exhibit “Screen Play: Life in an Animated World” will be on display in the gallery. It is a unique experience that combines art with technology and animation. The art featured is both playful and provocative featuring the works of both pioneers and rookies. Students can view the works ranging from clay stop-motion to video installations to digital modeling.

Dan Colen’s exhibit “Shake the Elbow” will be on display until Oct. 18. It features a select group of abstract paintings which he interestingly uses bubblegum as a medium (inspired by the chewed gum that covers sidewalks and litters the underside of school desks).

Both the Burchfield Penney and the Albright-Knox will have new exhibits to look forward to in October and November as well. For more information on exhibits to view all year long, visit burchfieldpenney.org/exhibitions and albrightknox.org/exhibitions.