Attempted strong arm robbery near Burchfield

Patrick Koster, Associate News Editor

Last Monday, SUNY Buffalo State students were notified of an attempted strong-arm robbery that occurred near the Burchfield Penney Art Center just after 1 p.m. that day.

The email from Campus Alerts said that University Police received a report at 2:45 p.m. that a female commuter student was the victim of the attempted robbery. The incident occurred in Lot R-3 near the Burchfield Penney.

“At about 1:05 p.m. the victim was approached by an unidentified male wearing a black hooded sweatshirt,” the email stated. “The suspect attempted to grab the victim’s lanyard and car keys but quickly fled when a witness in the parking lot shouted at the suspect. The suspect was last seen running south toward the Buffalo Psychiatric Center. No weapon was displayed during the incident and the victim was not injured.”

The email said that anyone who has details about the incident to call UPD immediately at (716) 878-3333.

“As the semester draws to a close and the weather improves, UPD reminds all members of the campus community to be aware of their surroundings at all times both on and off campus. Students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to review the personal safety tips listed on the University Police website at http://police.buffalostate.edu/safetymeasures.”