Women’s track and field takes first at Baldwin Wallace

Dave DeLuca/The Record

Jazmin Dunham and the women’s outdoor track and field team closed out the regular season strong.

Andrew David Kuczkowski, Reporter

The Buffalo State women’s track team ended their outdoor regular season slate with a bang, posting a first-place finish at the Sparky Adams Invitational. They hope that performance is a preview of what they’ll accomplish at the SUNYAC Championships on May 1 and 2.

The men finished in the top half of the bracket as well, placing fourth of eight teams at the invitational hosted by Baldwin Wallace University.

The women’s team posted both first and second place finishes in the 100-meter dash, 200-meter dash, 400-meter dash, high jump, long jump and the triple jump. The women dominated the invitational, scoring 191.50 points. Case Western, the second place finisher, tallied 125.20 points.

“Makes me feel great every time we win,” junior Shuntone Pricher, who won the 100-meter dash, said. “It’s a great feeling.”

The men’s team had standout performances from junior Cory Cox, who won the long jump, triple jump and the 100-meter dash and freshman Robert Liebel, who won the 400-meter dash in his first go at the event this season.

“I’ve been running other events in the meets before this to get ready for it. I am just excited,” Liebel said. “The time wasn’t really good because it was really windy on the track; it was kind of like a wind tunnel down there. But I went out and executed my race plan the way I wanted to, and it went really well.

“I’m only a freshman and I didn’t win any races indoors, so this is my first actual individual win. That made it really cool and special to me.”

The SUNYAC Championships are in just two weeks and the season is coming close to an end.

“Makes me feel good to know I am high on the leader board going into the championships,” Pricher said. “Right now, my biggest competition is my teammate, Jazmine Dunham. I feel I could get a good time running with her because I know her running style.

“We know when we get on the track, that means competition, and we go back to being friends right after we pass the finish line.”

The athletes expressed how much it would mean to the team if fellow students came out to support the team when they compete at the Championships.

“Being that we are not a sports team that has home games,” Pricher said, “I would appreciate that there were a group of people or a handful of people to come up to Brockport and support us during the championship.”

Liebel went on to explain what having fans there would mean to him.

“That would mean a whole lot if everybody was there,” he said. “It’s hard to put into words what it’s like when people are cheering you on while you’re running. It’s a whole other level of intensity. People there supporting you from your school; it’s a great feeling. It makes you want to run faster, for them.”