Why is cat calling a part of society?

Lucy Lopez, Culture Editor

I was coming back from Take Back the Night, feeling empowered and full of heart after hearing survivors of sexual assault speak out, only to be objectified myself within seconds of entering the Union—feeling like a zoo animal, something to merely be looked at.

I felt the eyes on my back. I was questioning why I wore a skirt to school that day, remembering that I really only wanted to look a little dressier that day just because it was nice out. But sadly, my first thought was, “why did I wear this, I’m asking for it.”

“I’m asking for it.” That’s the stigma that brainwashes women. A woman gets assaulted, it’s because she’s asking for it. She was too drunk, dressed too slutty, acted too friendly — she was “asking for it.” A woman is objectified walking around minding her own business and it’s because she was “asking for it.”

As a female, I should be able to walk around my college, wearing what I please, and not be worried that it would lead to comments loud enough to hear. It’s one thing to think it, it’s another thing to say it. No woman should have to hear “oh shit…” in a demeaning tone as she’s walking by.

What put me over the edge was after being so turned off, while I waited to be picked up to be driven to my car since it was nighttime (shout out to chivalry), I literally sat in the doorway of the Student Union, sitting on the radiator with my phone in my face.

This didn’t stop someone from approaching me anyway. About two minutes after sitting down, I heard a sly, “Excuse me, what’s your name?” I was so taken aback.

If a girl is sitting in the doorway wouldn’t you think she is trying to be alone? I flat out said, “Why does it matter?” out of sheer anger and thankfully got a text to come to the parking lot and walked out the door without even looking to see what his reaction was. Politely asked or not, I thought my nonverbal message was clear when I sat in that doorway that I did not want to be bothered.

I really thought that was a fluke day. That has never happened to me at Buffalo State. “It was just the skirt,” I thought. Nope, it wasn’t.

A second time, I was on my way to get some food before going back up to The Record office to finish some layout and it happened again. I don’t know if it’s just the Union where this unacceptable behavior happens, but walking past a table of at least five men, a loud comment was made about “this ass.”

I was coming from the gym, wearing leggings and a work out zip-up with Toms. Does that really give men the right to utter more disgusting comments seemingly loud enough for me to hear on purpose?

This is a public service announcement: men, treat women with some respect. If you think it’s okay to catcall, thinking, “boys will be boys,” it’s not okay. It never will be okay.

Women should have the right to wear what they want and not have to worry about it. That’s the bottom line.