#WeigelWord on Sexual Assault Awareness Month and Take Back The Night 2015

Amanda Wickmark

What is Take Back the Night?

The Take Back the Night® Foundation’s mission as a charitable 501(c)3 Foundation is to create safe communities and respectful relationships through awareness, events, and initiatives. The foundation seeks to end sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, sexual abuse, and all other forms of sexual violence. It all started in the late 1960’s when the foundation came to the United States from Europe. Supporters, united with the board, began holding hundreds of events under the TBTN banner all over the world. TBTN has focused on eliminating sexual and domestic violence in all forms; these issues still continue to happen in epidemic proportions. Across the world people take back their voices by speaking out at TBTN Events. Thousands of colleges, domestic violence shelters, and rape crisis centers have held events all over the country. Take Back The Night® is a beacon of hope for millions. The official color for Sexual Assault Awareness is teal; the official color for the awareness of domestic violence is purple.

What is SUNY Buffalo State doing?

Weigel Health Promotions has been busy putting together a full agenda of events, programs and speakers. Rockwell Hall Bell tower will be lit up teal from April 8th- 16th. We will be painting the campus in several ways. Teal ribbons will be tied up on trees, there will chalking around high traffic areas as well as a window painting contest among the residence halls in which the winner will be announced at Take Back The Night. Weigel Health Promotions will be tabling in the lobby of the Campbell Student Union Mon. – Thurs., 11:30am- 1:30pm. Speakers, workshops, and discussions including Healthy Relationships, QPR Suicide Intervention Training, Therapy Dogs, and I <3 Consent, will be happening all over campus for two weeks. Organizations Buffalo State will be hosting are; Crisis Services, Horizon, and It Happened to Alexa. The main event will be the Take Back the Night Show which will have artists, dancers, singers, and speakers along with the audience taking a stand against domestic violence and sexual assault.

What is the theme?

The theme this year is “The Different Faces of Sexual Assault”. This represents students who are survivors of sexual assault on campus (orange); domestic violence (purple) perhaps with family or significant others; LGBT (rainbow) because the issue of sexual assault can include same-sex relationships as well; black & white because again, this issue is not specific to any one race. Lastly, while we think of survivors at this time, it is also important to keep in mind that this is the time for bystanders to Do Their Part and take a stand against sexual assault.

What is there for me to do?

Look out for the color teal around Buffalo State and the community; sharing the color promotes the event and spreads awareness about the issues at hand. Stop by our Weigel Health Promotions table in the Campbell Student Union to learn more. Look down as you walk to class to see the information written in chalk. Pay attention to all the informative flyers posted around campus. Check out or participate in the resident hall window painting competition. Attend any or all of the TBTN events- A full list of programming can be found on the flyers, online, and by asking a WHP volunteer or peer educator. Tell your friends! – Show them the teal, stop by the WHP table, and bring them along to the events.

When and where is all this happening?

Take Back the Night Programming will take place throughout the month of April. Dates, times, and locations can be found on any of the TBTN flyers you see around campus, social media, stopping to talk to a Weigel Health Promotions volunteer at our table in the Union, or on Weigel Health Promotions website: http://weigel.buffalostate.edu/health-promotion. SUNY Buffalo State’s Take Back the Night show will be held in the Rockwell Hall Performing Art Center on Wednesday, April 15th doors will open at 6:30pm and the show starts at 7pm.

Do Your Part and take a stand against sexual assault! #weigelword
Amanda Wickmark,
Peer Educator, Weigel Health Promotions

Weigel Health Promotions is located in the basement of Porter Hall and provides prevention through education for all Buffalo State students. If you would like to get involved or want more information, visit http://weigel.buffalostate.edu/health-promotion or contact: Paula A. Madrigal, Weigel Health Promotions – Wellness & Prevention Coordinator [email protected] 716-878-4719.

“Sexual and emotional abuse happens at any age, with any gender, with any race.”

“I am unique and always will be…and that is okay.”

“Rapists can be anybody”

“I don’t deserve to be abused”

“One out of six boys and one out of four girls are abused by adulthood”

“I am a loving and kind person.”

“Dating abuse can really happen to just about anyone.”

*Testimonies taken directly from the It Happened to Alexa website.

*Information for this article was taken directly from the Take Back the Night Foundation website: http://takebackthenight.org, the It Happened to Alexa Foundation website: http://ithappenedtoalexa.org, and from Weigel Health Promotion’s literature.