Cold read at Winter Welcome chills spine

Lucy Lopez, Culture Editor

It was January 25, 4 a.m., two hours before I had to wake up. After a night full of tossing and turning, I began thinking, “I am a spring semester senior. Now what?”

Anyone who knows me knows I am the queen of organization. I have a plan A, plan B, and usually a plan C. But like most students in my position, this crossroad does not always have two clear paths to go down.

Within 24 hours of being at school on my first day, half of my worries were answered. I landed an internship, my classes weren’t too horrible and I realized this semester could actually be fun.

Then came day three of the semester. I heard there was a psychic reading at the Winter Welcome event. Here’s a quick disclaimer: I have never been one to believe in psychics, mediums, readings, any of that. I think it was solely because I had not experienced it for myself. I always thought that kind of stuff was made up of coincidences and people that just wanted to believe.

I was one of the first people to go in and I could feel myself getting butterflies, not really knowing what to expect. In the waiting room I was telling myself to relax and be open-minded, while at the same time, I was terrified of what I would hear.

I went in and there were two tables. I immediately went to the psychic. She was going to be doing a tarot reading. She asked my name and I sat down and shuffled the cards.

The first card she flipped was the “ace of swords.” She said this meant big chances were coming and I would spear through them. Throughout my session she also told me that I needed to follow my strong intuition regarding any major decisions I am making, and that a “queen of hearts” representing an influential woman in my life would help me make these choices. Strangely enough, I had just gone to my high school to see my favorite teacher who, in fact, was the first person that popped in my head when she said influential woman in my life.

I thought that there was really nothing out of the ordinary until she flipped a card that signified that if I had been worrying recently about something that that time of worry was coming to an end.

She also somehow knew that I was an extremely organized person. But here’s the real kicker that sent chills down my spine.

“I picture you out west,” she said. I did not really understand at first and thought, “I’m probably never going to Kansas but okay.” Then she said, “Probably California. You’re going to like it there.”

I kid you not, right before entering the room to see her, I was talking to my friends about how I have an opportunity to go to San Francisco this June. I am pretty sure my jaw dropped to the floor. How she knew that is beyond my capacity of understanding.

To say the least, my first psychic reading was insanely accurate. She gave me this peace of mind I have never experienced before. I have always been one to find horoscopes interesting, but now I am doubly intrigued. Looks like Lillydale might be on my bucket list after all.

And about the important phone call she predicted, I am still waiting for that. If and when it happens, I will be completely in awe.