VSLC Plans Ahead for Winter Alternative Break

Teagan

Teagan Adelaide/ The Record

Maris Lambie, Reporter

It may only be October, but SUNY Buffalo State’s Volunteer and Service Learning program is already planning ahead for their winter alternative break.

Like other alternative breaks, this program provides a drug- and alcohol-free trip that differs from a “traditional break.” It gives students the opportunity to learn about different communities and their issues, and gives students the chance to have fun while giving back to the community.

This winter, the alternative break program is organizing two different trips for students. One will stay local and focus on Buffalo. The other trip will have students traveling to Washington, DC.

The “Building Blocks in Buffalo NY” local trip will run from Dec. 14 through Dec. 19 and will focus on equity and urban poverty.

“Urban poverty is a multi-dimensional social issue, and it effects real people,” said Steve Mathis, member of the Alternative Break Program. “Buffalo is the fourth poorest city in the country; there are 15,000 people living in poverty.”

The building blocks trip will work with the Salvation Army, Maritime Charter School and the Food Bank of WNY. Students will help mentor youth by hosting a career and college fair, talking to kids about bullying, gangs and wellness, and collecting food for food pantries.

The trip will involve up to 14 students, who will travel with a supervisor. The Salvation Army at 960 Main Street will provide lodging.

“It’s a good time,” Mathis said, adding that he hopes that the trip will help students learn how to be active citizens in their communities.

The Washington, DC trip will run from Dec. 13 through Dec. 19, and will focus on homelessness and food insecurity. Students will travel around the city together and work with Thrive, Capital Area Food Bank, Food and Friends and the DC Central Kitchen. Students will work with those programs to serve and prepare meals, help with sorting and collecting food donations, and learn about homelessness and poverty.

“It’s tons of fun!” said Alternative Break program member Rishard Cunningham. “You’re bonding with your group the whole trip, and you help other people and have the chance to explore the city.”

Up to eight students and one supervisor will go on the trip. The group will travel together by a van or public transportation. Lodging has yet to be determined but students will most likely reside at a church in DC.

“It’s a good opportunity,” said Ashley Termini, junior psychology major at Buffalo State. Termini volunteers frequently at her church and is excited to help others.

“It gives a better understanding on what people go through, especially since we’d be going around Christmas time,” she said.

Students can apply with paper applications in Cleveland 306 or apply online at http://vslc.buffalostate.edu.The deadline to apply for both trips is Oct. 17, with a deposit fee of $30. The final payments are due Nov. 14.

The final payment for the Building Blocks trip is $75, and the final payment for the Washington, D.C. trip is $320. These payments will cover the costs of lodging and traveling. If price is an issue, students can look into fundraising by selling Fowler’s chocolates.

There will be a mandatory orientation meeting held from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. Oct. 28 in Cleveland 306, C-Lounge. For more information, check out the VSLC’s Alternative Break webpage or stop by at Cleveland 306 and talk to someone there.

Email: [email protected]