Foster, Brooks pace XC teams

Photo courtesy of Buffalo State Athletics

Junior Alex Ngabo placed sixth overall (26.39) to help lead the men’s team to a first place finish at the Brockport Golden Eagle Invite.

Serar Deria, Reporter

This past weekend, the Buffalo State Bengals men’s and women’s cross country teams traveled to Brockport, NY for their second meet of the season, the Brockport Golden Eagle Invitational. Buffalo State was among four other teams at the meet including Brockport, Alfred State and a team of Brockport Alumni.

After a successful effort, the men’s team finished in first place and the women’s team finished third. Senior Kyle Foster was the men’s top finisher, placing fourth out of 53 total runners in the 8k race with a time of 26:32.  The women’s top placer was Junior Sabrina Brooks, who placed third out of 50 total runners in the 6k with a time of 23:44.

Junior Alex Ngabo placed sixth overall with a time of 26:39 and junior Austin Becker placed ninth (27:26). Freshman Mitch Rabold finished 12th with a time of 27:45 and fellow freshman Mitch Ford came in 15th with a time of 27:57.

Ngabo knows the team can’t let this weekend’s success get to their head.

“It was a good meet overall, although we won there weren’t many teams there, which tells me not to get too comfortable,” Ngabo said. “There’s still teams we will be facing which will be much more challenging, so we’ve got to stay focused.”

“As a team we ran a well-planned race, not going out too fast and finishing strong to take the meet title,” Becker said. “Hopefully we can do the same thing at SUNYACs, but with faster times.”

Coach Ridge Robinson also felt that the teams performed well.

“Notably, in the men’s race, I was particularly pleased with the finishing kicks,” Robinson said. “I felt they looked strong from start to finish. The men executed a strategic race in order to win the event. My women’s team put in a solid effort, recording personal bests through the 5k distance of the 6k race.”

Along with Brooks’ third place finish, junior Kat McNamara finished 13th (24:53), sophomore Elizabeth Wall finished 18th (23:50), senior Rosie Brown finished 27th (26:22) and sophomore Kaylea Rustay finished 32nd (26:40).

“The meet went well and I’m happy with my time and place right now this early in the season” Brooks said. “It was for the team and me to preview the course before SUNYACs.”

The team’s successful start to the season is all building up to the SUNYAC championships at Brockport on Saturday, Nov. 1, assures Robinson.

“As the season progresses, we’ll continue to utilize each meet in preparation for the SUNYAC Championships,” Robinson said.

As both the men’s and women’s teams prepare for SUNYACs, their next meet will be held in two weeks at Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania for the Paul Short Run on Saturday, Oct. 4.