USG talks student volunteers

Sarah Minkewicz, Associate News Editor

SUNY Buffalo State’s United Student Government held its weekly meeting in the Union’s Social Hall on Sept. 16. At the meeting USG discussed the undergraduate open house event, ways students can get involved on campus without becoming a USG senator and swore in new senators and a justice.

Buffalo State will be hosting their fall open house from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on Saturday, Nov. 1.

Bernadette G. Clark, admissions advisor at Buffalo State, attended the USG meeting and said that admissions is looking for student volunteers to help out with the open house.

“We want to really engage the students that are coming to campus with the students that are currently here,” she said.

Clark encouraged senators to help out and show students why they should choose to attend Buffalo State.

“One of the number one reasons why students choose a college is because of student life,” Clark said.

Students can speak with the admissions office if they are interested in volunteering for this year’s open house.

“If you want to participate in anyway then let us know and we would be glad to have you,” Clark said.

Later in the meeting, Steven Cornelio, administrative vice president for public relations, said he hoped to create a way for students to help with campus events without the commitment of being a USG senator.

He hopes to start the committee called the Grant Team. Grant is the name of Buffalo State’s mascot and the committee will entail a group of students who’ll have the opportunity to get involved with USG without being a full-time senator.

“This will be an opportunity and a committee where students will be able to come in and say ‘Hey, I really like the carnival and want to participate and want to help, but I can’t be a senator full-time. Is there a way where I can sign up?’” Cornelio said.

Once the committee has been established, Cornelio said any students interested could contact the Grant Team and become a Grant Team member.

USG inducted several students into the Senate at last week’s meeting.

Hugo Tam, a Buffalo State student, gave a speech on why he should be a USG senator.

Tam is originally from Southeast Asia and said, if elected, he would represent the Asian population on campus and bring a diverse element to USG.

“I’m a curious student,” Tam said. “I was an athlete and played four sports in high school, and was the captain for both swimming and basketball.”

With all his experience, Tam said that he developed fundamental skills, can respond to a situation adaptively, can work with budgets and can build connections.

Tam received several standing ovations and was unanimously voted a USG senator along with fellow student Alicea Arias.

Twitter @saraminks