Freshman arrive in record numbers

Katherine Middleton, Reporter

Choosing to attend college is a decision many teenagers face, especially as high school comes closer to ending. This year, SUNY Buffalo State accepted over 2,000 college freshmen – it’s highest enrollment in years.

In previous years, freshman enrollment remained below 1,500.  The numbers are still being counted, but this year there were close to 1,900 acceptances including both national and international students.

“We were able to accommodate more students academically due to better grades,” said Carmela Thompson, appointed director of admissions, adding “students with an average of 85 or higher were admitted without standardized test scores.”

According to Thompson, the application process hasn’t changed. However, the admissions office has become more “aggressive” in the process; they would often follow up on potential students to ensure that they maintained an 85 or above, leading to more students being accepted.

“When I first visited campus I loved it,” said freshman biology major Alizé Claudio, adding “everyone was really nice, I liked the different organizations and the food was good.”

Claudio said that she liked the school so much; it was the only college she applied to.

Brittany Mineo, freshman early childhood education major, said that she choose to attend Buffalo State because of the location and academics. She also said that she was surprised at how many new students enrolled at the college.

“I graduated with just over 60 people, so it’s a big change,” she said.

Kevin Pickering, freshman media production major, said that he chose Buffalo State “because it’s close to home,” but he didn’t expect to see so many freshman.

With Buffalo State accepting such a high number of freshmen, changes had to be made.  All three of the freshmen dormitory buildings on campus – Newman, Perry and Porter ­– were designed for double rooms, but have now changed to triple rooms.

“I think my expectations were too high,” said freshman psychology major Mark Burnett, adding, “when I got accepted and visited the campus I liked it.  I thought I would have one roommate but when I got here I had two.”

Freshmen did not decide on the amount of roommates they wanted, and the bed selection was left up to chance in Perry.

“They had us pick a colored card, and on there was which bed you had and the furniture that goes with it,” Burnett said.

He wound up picking a card that allowed him to get a single bed and a desk to himself.  The roommates that share the bunk bed also share the desk, but everyone has their own space to store their clothes.

“There’s not enough space at all,” Claudio said. “You have to be considerate of how two people feel instead of just one. If one roommate is okay with something and the other one isn’t, it’s no good.”

Regardless of her living situation, Claudio is adjusting well to college life.

“I’ve made a bunch of friends,” she said.  “I made all of my friends in the game room [in the Student Union].  I would say just go out and talk to people.”