Studying abroad: why not?

Sarah Minkewicz, Associate News Editor

Why not?

That’s the question I asked myself when I received an email suggesting that I apply for the study abroad in Istanbul program.

I had never been on a plane before then, nor had I traveled anywhere outside the United States, and Canada doesn’t count. I’d also never experienced another culture before, or knew what it was like to be on my own. Studying in Turkey seemed like the best way for me to learn how to be independent and get out of my comfort zone. If I didn’t go for this opportunity, I knew that I wouldn’t get the chance to do this again.

Just like high school, college goes by pretty fast. You’ll enter as incoming freshman and before you know it, 120 credits later, you’re finished.

Students need to make the most of it. Join the organizations that interest you, take those internships that’ll help in your career, and study in a different country like I did.  These opportunities won’t come along in the future, so cease the chance now.

My second question was, “Why Turkey?”

I hardly knew of anyone who had traveled to Turkey. You hear a lot about what Italy is like, and how amazing Spain is, but not many people mention anything about Turkey. I wanted to be someone who could.

Another reason I decided to apply for this program was because of its length. The thought of leaving home for a long time was nerve wrecking, and since this program was only a month long, I figured it was a perfect first step in my traveling adventures. I also received 6 college credits for the program that fulfilled an English and Non-Western requirement.

There are other options for studying abroad if Turkey doesn’t sound appealing. Students have the option of studying in countries such as Australia, England, Netherlands, Quebec, Italy, Spain and many more as long as they meet all the qualifications and requirements.

Students can apply to any of the programs offered at SUNY Buffalo State online at buffalostate.edu/studyabroad. The application process varies for each program the student is applying for, but with the help of the student’s advisor as well as help from the international education office, located in South Wing 410, the process can be fairly easy. They also have information packets and a list of scholarships to apply for.

So even if you’re an incoming freshman, it’s never too early to consider studying abroad. Speak with your advisor and figure out a program that would work best for you. My experience in Turkey was one I’ll never forget, so if you’re considering applying just ask yourself the same question I did. Why not?

Twitter: @saraminks