Rap act Tyga to headline Springfest

USG chose artists for broad student appeal

Cash Money Records

Rapper Tyga will perform at Springfest on May 8 with Pusha T and Sevyn Streeter.

Rap artist Tyga will headline a Springfest 2014 lineup that also includes hip-hop acts Pusha T and Sevyn Streeter, United Students Government announced Tuesday afternoon.

USG disclosed the artist selections for the May 8 concert following a report by The Record on social media that the artists would be headed to Buffalo State. It had originally planned to host an event April 22 to publicly reveal the lineup.

Tickets will be made available to students Tuesday, USG vice president of public relations Fatoumata Binta Barry said. USG had been planning a special event Tuesday complete with ticket and merchandise giveaways where it would announce the lineup. It is unclear whether or not USG will still put on the event, which was scheduled for Bengal Pause.

Barry said the committee considered a number of factors when selecting the artists, including the acts for the University at Buffalo’s Springfest, which is set for May 2.

UB’s Student Association announced last month that country acts The Band Perry, Gloriana and Citizen Cope would perform for the school’s Springfest.

Many Buffalo State students attend Springfest at UB, and vice versa.

“We were just looking for the artists who we felt students would enjoy,” Barry said. “I think it’s a good contrast, our performance to UB’s performance. That’s what the committee built upon this year, trying to get versatility, trying to get people that the student body would be able to have a great time and enjoy.”

The concert will incorporate Buffalo State students in a number of different ways. Student Matt Markis will be one of the deejays for Springfest.

USG will also host a series of events during the week leading up to the concert, called, “All Roads Lead to Springfest,” that will include a foam party and movie night that will also be a part of Relaxation Week.

USG encourages students to post their opinions before, during and after the concert on social media sites Twitter and Instagram using the hashtag #BSCSpringfest2k14.

“It’s a lot about student engagement this time, so we’re looking for ways to keep students involved,” Barry said. “We want students to be able to share their experiences. It’s not just something that we announce, you come, you leave.”

Last year, students took to social media to voice their displeasure with the artist selection for Springfest, which included Wale, Kirko Bangz and White Panda.

Although the concert sold out in advance and wound up garnering rave reviews, this year’s committee aimed to find artists who cater to all student music tastes.

“Sometimes people worry about big names, but a big name doesn’t always mean a great performance,” Barry said. “That has a huge thing to do with how we feel people will enjoy this show.”

Tyga, the headlining act, comes with baggage.

The rapper’s 2013 appearance at Harvard University prompted student outcry and a petition to remove the act from the school’s concert series because they felt Tyga’s lyrics promote sexism and violence, according to a series of articles that appeared in The Crimson, Harvard’s student newspaper.

Tyga performed, but the petition gained 1,700 signatures and led to an alternative concert for students who were offended by the rapper and his lyrics.

The Springfest concert will take place at 8 p.m. May 8 inside the Sports Arena.