EDITORIAL: Administration should have alerted students to bacterial water

Editorial Staff

The snow from the Polar Vortex will melt and give you more liquid to drink than your own college.

According to Web MD, it’s recommended that one should drink six or eight 8-ounce glasses of water or other fluid every day.

If you’re headed to the Science Building soon, don’t plan on filling up your water bottle to fulfill your daily H2O intake any time soon.

Your thirst won’t be quenched. Instead, you’ll be greeted by a “Do not drink the water” sign at the water fountains, which have all been turned off.

Last March, dangerously high levels of bacteria were first found in the building’s water, s, according to reports published in this paper. The State University Construction Fund must only hope that students won’t need water immediately, during a choking incident or any other dangerous instance.

SUCF is responsible for the construction of SUNY facilities and their maintenance and repairs.

Hopefully SUCF isn’t looking at this problem through a glass filled with the building’s cloudy water. However, their blurred vision may explain their delayed reaction to this problem.

Since last March, the water has been flushed daily, which makes the water heavily chlorinated.

Have you ever accidentally taken a big gulp of pool water?

Well then you’ll know exactly what to expect if you drink this water.

It’s been a year since the high bacteria levels were discovered, and many students, including those who regularly attend classes in the Science Building, are just now learning the reason why the tap water tastes like bleach. Why no notice to students? Even a simple email or text alert would have sufficed. When it comes to alerting students to potential health hazards, it seems the administration at Buffalo State are as opaque as Science Building water.

Why has it taken almost a year for this problem to surface? And, more importantly, why has the issue not been resolved in that time?

Some students question if the contaminated water will travel to other buildings on campus.

Should those who live in the residence halls on campus fear that the water they’re drinking or washing with will be contaminated too?

We’re still uncertain as why or how Buffalo State finds itself in this cloudy situation. But what we do know is that there should have been more transparency thatn posting a few signs.

Granted, adminstration seems to be growing incresingly frustrated with the delays, too. Perhaps even they could not have predicted this issue would span a calendar year.

Still, the problem remains unsolved, and perhaps this situation requires a more proactive appraoch instead of sitting around pointing finger, wondering when the issue will resolve itself.

While we wait for these parties to come up with a solution, we’ll bring our own water from home.

Stay thirsty, Buffalo State.