Joel Hopkins
Opinion Editor

Buffalo State softball winning streak snapped by Cortland, loses both matches

After a six-game win streak, the Bengals lost to Cortland in both games of the doubleheader as the offense appeared to have lost some momentum from Friday’s games against Oswego.
Kayla Sterner
Buffalo State softball loses back-to-back games after an impressive win streak

Game 1, L 9-2
The Bengals left eight runners on base and had eight hits in the first game.

Izzy Pezdek started in the circle but allowed four runs in the first inning, which presumably led to Emma Hooftallen taking the reins in the top of the second inning. Hooftallen allowed six hits and five runs along with three walks and one strikeout.

Caitlyn Parsons was 2-of-4 in the batter’s box with one run scored. Mya Hurley was 2-of-3 with a run scored. Kaitlyn Schnitzer was 2-of-3 with two RBIs.

Cortland put up two runs in the first inning and then put up a crooked number the following inning to lead 4-0 over the Bengals. Buff State scored a run in the bottom of the second inning as Schnitzer hit a single to score Parsons.

The Red Dragons scored another run in the top of the fifth to lead by four until Schnitzer hit a single in the bottom of the sixth to score Hurley, who was on base with a double. Cortland rallied in the top of the seventh inning to score another four runs, giving the Bengals a seven-run loss.

Five of the Red Dragons runs were unearned.

Game 2, L 9-0
The Bengals did not touch home plate in the second game as Lexi Quagliana had the sole hit of the game for Buff State — a single in the bottom of the second inning with one out.

Four of Cortland’s nine runs were unearned.

Madison Lucas allowed four hits and six runs along with three strikeouts and two walks in two innings. Kaitlyn Schnitzer entered the circle as relief and allowed eight hits, three runs, one walk and two strikeouts in four innings.

Buff State was mercied, so game two was only six innings.

The first six runs for Cortland came in the second inning. They scored one run in the top of the fourth and a couple of runs in the sixth inning, both unearned, to shutout the Bengals. Cortland had 12 hits and six RBIs.

Buffalo State returns to their home diamonds April 21 for a doubleheader against Nazareth University. The games were originally scheduled for April 10 but were canceled due to weather. First pitch is set for 12p.m. and 2p.m.