Dan Almasi
Dan Almasi
Executive Editor

Buffalo State softball extends win streak to six as offense has a big day

Kayla Sterner
Buffalo State softball extends win streak to six after solid showing against Oswego

The Bengals (13-10, 8-2 SUNYAC) swept Oswego (7-17, 2-8 SUNYAC), and mercied the Lakers in the second game of the doubleheader.

Buffalo State softball is on a win streak after picking up a pair of wins at home on Friday.

Emma Hooftallen got the win in the circle of the first game as she had five strikeouts as well as allowed two hits and one run. Izzy Pezdek pitched for 1.1 innings and allowed five hits and five runs — three of which were unearned.

In the second game of the doubleheader, Madison Lucas pitched for the win. Lucas allowed eight hits and four runs along with three strikeouts in 3.2 innings. Pezdek came in from the bullpen for the last 1.1 innings and had four strikeouts while allowing one run to score.

Game 1, W 8-6
Despite the Lakers scoring first, the Bengals had the final word and won with a two-run advantage.

Sarah Congelosi was 1-of-1 at the plate with two walks, two runs scored and two RBIs. Mya Hurley was 2-of-3 with two runs scored and two RBIs. Grace Albano, Kenzie Scott and Katie Pyszczek each added their own RBIs.

Oswego put up a crooked number in the first inning, but Buffalo State responded with four runs to take a 4-2 advantage. Pyszczek hit a single and advanced to second on the throw to score both runners that were on base before Hurley hit a homerun to left field to add another pair to the scoreboard.

The Lakers scored three in the second inning, and then Hooftallen entered to relieve Pezdek from her pitching duties.

Buff State scored two in the bottom of the fourth inning as Congelosi ripped a triple to score Albano, who got on base with a single. Scott hit a sacrifice fly to score Congelosi and lead 6-5.

Oswego scored an unearned run in the fifth to tie the game at six apiece before the Bengals scored another couple of runs in the bottom of the inning. Albano singled to score Lexi Quagliana and load the bases before a sacrifice fly scored Hurley to lead 8-6, which ended up the final score.

The Bengals had 10 hits compared to the Lakers seven hits.

Game 2, W 12-4
The second game of the doubleheader was quicker than the first, as Buff State mercied Oswego in five innings.

Congelosi was 2-of-3 with a run scored and two RBIs while Caitlyn Parsons was 2-of-2 with a run scored. Sam Schafer was 3-of-3 with two runs scored and two RBIs while Hurley and Albano each added two RBIs.

The Bengals started strong as they managed four runs in the first inning. Hurley singled to score Congelosi, who had a double to center field and then stole third base. A single from Lucas scored Pyszczek, who only made it to third base because of the Lakers’ errors.

Parsons scored on a walk with bases loaded and Quagliana scored on a single to center field, courtesy of Schafer.

Buff State put up a trio of runs in the bottom of the third inning to lead 7-0. Lucas scored on a ground out from Albano and Kaitlyn Schnitzer scored on a single. Hurley grounded out to the shortstop to score Schafer.

Oswego scored four runs in the bottom of the fourth, but then their bats went quiet again.

The Bengals rallied to put up five runs in the bottom of the fifth to execute the mercy rule and end the game early.

Samantha Kelly scored on a double from Schafer, who then scored when Albano roped a double. Congelosi had a sacrifice fly to score Albano before Hurley scored on a throwing error from the left fielder. Erin Paolilli ended the inning with an unearned run, securing the 12-4 victory.