Head over heels: the new sports team to look out for
View All
Staff Spotlight
Emmanuel Rodriguez
Emmanuel Rodriguez
Sports Editor
Survey

What's the worst way to end a semester?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Program cuts leave future of certain courses in jeopardy

Students+on+campus+are+raising+concerns+about+changes+to+programs.+
Yomira Meregildo
Students on campus are raising concerns about changes to programs.

Universities across New York State are considering cutting programs due to budget deficits and other economic factors, and Buffalo State is one of them.

Two students spoke out at the March 19 President’s Spring Student Forum about programs they are enrolled in that are being negatively affected by this. One student expressed concerns about professor cuts and non-qualified professors teaching in the Criminal Justice department.

Interim Provost Amitra Wall says it’s difficult to find qualified candidates to teach Criminal Justice courses, but Buffalo State offers a BS/MS Combined Pathway Program, which allows students to work towards their bachelor’s degree and a Master of Science in Criminal Justice simultaneously.

“Criminal Justice is a program that has potential for growth,” she said.

Another student raised concerns regarding classes that are being combined in the Art and Design department. Originally, certain classes such as drawing and painting were offered individually. Now they are being merged into one class.

SUNY Fredonia recently announced its decision to cut several majors including Art History, Philosophy, Sociology and more, citing declining enrollment.

Wall says she is currently working with the Deans to review all programs on campus, and she looks at more than just enrollment numbers when doing so.

“Data points such as the five-year enrollment trend, the number of instructional and professional staff associated with each program, and teaching load,” she said. “It is possible to deactivate a program and see faculty tied to another program in the same department or part of general education. Buffalo State is committed to teaching-out students in a program.”