Dan Almasi
Dan Almasi
Executive Editor

Softball drops a pair against St. John Fisher at home

Caitlyn+Parsons+up+to+bat+in+game+two+of+a+doubleheader+against+St.+John+Fisher+Colllege.++
Kayla Sterner
Caitlyn Parsons up to bat in game two of a doubleheader against St. John Fisher Colllege.

Buffalo State’s softball team (7-8) lost two matches against St. John Fisher (14-4) in a non-conference doubleheader.

“They’re a very, very good team and we can’t make mistakes,” said Head Coach Jamie Brown, referring to SJFC. “We left some people on base, and we just can’t do that.”

Kaitlyn Schnitzer and Emma Hooftallen split the first game in the circle. Schnitzer got the start and allowed nine runs in two innings while Hooftallen allowed one run and had three strikeouts.

Izzy Pezdek and Madison Lucas shared the circle in the second game. Pezdek allowed six hits and had two strikeouts while Lucas allowed four hits and six strikeouts.

Game 1, 10-2 L
Buffalo State allowed St. John Fisher to score eight runs in the top of the first inning, and the Bengals weren’t able to generate enough prowess, which led to a 10-2 loss in six innings.

Deme Kellogg was 2-for-3 in the batter’s box with one run scored while Grace Albano was two-for-two with an RBI.

Six of the Cardinals’ runs in the first innings were unearned and scored off of errors from the Bengals, but after a pitching change in the third inning, the Cardinals managed only three hits.

SJCF had two hits in the top of the second inning and then scored on a wild pitch to lead 9-0 over the Bengals until Sarah Congelosi roped a single down the left field line to score Schnitzer, who was walked.

Hooftallen took the circle in the third inning.

Kellogg roped the ball for a single in the bottom of the fourth inning and then Sydney Shuta had a sacrifice bunt to move Kellogg to second before she scored when Albano smoked a double to left center.

The Cardinals scored one run in the sixth to take an eight-run advantage, which led to the mercy rule coming into play as the Bengals did not score in the bottom of the sixth.

The Bengals had six hits and seven strikeouts.

Game 2, 2-1 L
All three runs in the matchup came in the third inning, as good pitching and defense on both sides kept the game low-scoring.

“I love how Izzy and Madison came in and pitched well,” said Brown. “They kept us in the game, we just couldn’t find a timely hit.”

The Bengals had six hits while the Cardinals had 10, but SJFC struck out eight times compared to Buffalo State’s five strikeouts.

Albano was 2-for-3 at the plate with a stolen base and the sole RBI of the game as Schnitzer, who was 1-of-3, was the only run scored for the home team.

An error by the Bengals in right field led to the Cardinals scoring a run in the third inning before a double with two runners on base brought one home to give SJFC a 2-0 lead over BSU.

Schnitzer singled to right center and then Albano singled to the outfield to bring Schnitzer home to make it a 2-1 game, which ended up the final score.

Lucas entered as pitcher for the Bengals in the fourth inning. Buffalo State managed to keep the Cardinals without a run in the inning despite having a runner on second and third with no outs. The following three batters grounded out towards the right side of the infield.

The Bengals were victims of the double-play in the sixth and seventh inning. Lucas hit a ground ball to third base with bases loaded in the sixth and SJFC got the out at home before getting the batter out at first. Schnitzer had a bunt pop-out as she was too under the ball, and then Kellogg was too far off of first, so she was unable to beat the throw to first base, which led to the second out.

Buffalo State returns to action on April 10 and April 13 for a pair of doubleheaders against SUNY Geneseo and Plattsburgh, respectively. The Geneseo matches are set for 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. in Geneseo while the Bengals face Plattsburgh at home on Friday at 3 p.m. and 5 p.m.