Joel Hopkins
Opinion Editor

SCOTUS decision to allow arbitrary removal of people in Texas suspended

Lars Plougmann
“US Border Patrol, Marfa, Texas” by Lars Plougmann is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0. To view a copy of this license, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/?ref=openverse.

Irrespective of national origin, individuals deserve to be treated humanely and with respect.

In Texas, SB 4, an incredibly controversial statute, emboldens law enforcement officials to detain or arrest individuals suspected of illegally gaining access to the United States via the U.S.-Mexico border. The law was in response to the supposed “border crisis.”

The Biden Administration challenged this law, requiring the inhumane law to be brought up before SCOTUS. As such, in recent months, SB 4 was placed on a moratorium.

However, on March 19 SCOTUS determined that the law could be enforced in Texas. After the SCOTUS ruling, the Fifth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, located in New Orleans, ordered enforcement of said law to be paused.

The statute raises ethical concerns, especially given the absence of details regarding how to identify an individual who allegedly crossed the U.S.-Mexico border illegally. The law seems to aim to create a binary category between humans, and that is unethical. Border security may be a concern, however, arbitrarily deciding who could be residing in the United States illegally offers too much power for the everyday person.

Opponents of this law express that this law perpetuates discrimination toward humans and encourages the state of Texas to create a police state based on speculation that an individual is an undocumented immigrant. Concerns surrounding the arbitrary enforcement of the law and racial/ethnic discrimination exist.

The Border Crisis continues to permeate the political landscape, and yet, it remains largely rhetoric.

View Comments (4)