Francesca Bond
Francesca Bond
Executive Editor

Are students happy with housing conditions on campus?

Angela Caico
Student Apartment Complex (STAC)

Students raised concerns about campus housing prices rising, while the conditions decline, at the March 19 President’s Student Forum.

The first concern was regarding RA’s allegedly not doing their jobs. The university’s plan to combat this issue is increased pay intended to attract better candidates.

Student residents have also been complaining about the hot water not working. They say that maintenance has been notified about the problem but hasn’t done anything.

Students also reported that only a few of the many washers and dryers are working.

Not everyone has a high tolerance for noise levels, and some nights are filled with the lack of following quiet hours throughout the dorm halls. Also, the fire alarms going off due to someone smoking causes annoyance to some students.

However, not all students are dissatisfied with the housing conditions. STAC resident Jordan Nass-deMause says that he believes the housing at Buffalo State isn’t much different than that of other universities.

“The washing machines break down, and the fire alarms are finicky,” he said. “But it’s actually kind of nice, you get your own room, heat and air conditioning.”

The Student Apartment Complex has raised rent prices. This can cause a struggle for students who are now having to work more hours to pay rent rather than focusing on their studies. A student who wishes to remain anonymous says that she had to take out a personal loan on top of her student loans in order to cover the expenses.

“Plainly, I think it’s [explicit],” she said. “I understand that the cost of everything is going up, but the foot of the bill shouldn’t be going to the students. It should be tackled by SUNY, the supposed cheaper alternative to private education.”