Joel Hopkins
Opinion Editor

University Police Department offers employment opportunities to students

The+University+Police+Department+offers+part-time+roles+to+students.+
Nushaiba Islam
The University Police Department offers part-time roles to students.

The University Police Department provides part-time employment to students at Buffalo State. The opportunity would be beneficial to students in criminal justice and political science majors, as it provides real-life security experience.

Students can be hired every semester, and are paid $14.25 per hour for library, $15 per hour for study quad, and $16 per hour for night duty. Students are also given the opportunity to work special events, including football games during the Fall, which involves controlling traffic in certain parking lots on campus.

Some of the tasks of a UPSA include:

• Night duty: patrolling student dorms on campus, checking student IDs that enter residential buildings, and writing reports on what goes on during the night. Students work from 9:30pm to 2am during Fall semester and then 9:30 pm to 4am during Spring semester.
  • Walking patrol: during walking patrol, students patrol each academic building. The UPSA has to radio to the coordinator when they enter each building.
  • Library: students patrol the library during all hours of the day until closing, and help close the library 30 minutes before closing. This task involves going up to people at the library and kindly telling students to leave, writing reports, and keeping an eye open for suspicious activity. The UPSA is UPD’s open eye and, hopefully, the first person to alert the police of danger.
  • Study Quad: Students can work early morning and until 2am at the study quad. Students need to check IDs during evening hours and let other students into the study quad.

This job is a great opportunity to put on a resume and teaches students about the responsibility of law enforcement!