Joel Hopkins
Opinion Editor

Grab your shades for Buffalo State’s solar eclipse events

Angela Caico
Whitworth Ferguson Planetarium

You’ve probably heard by now that Buffalo is going to experience a solar eclipse on April 8! Special events are happening on the Buffalo State campus to celebrate this event.

An eclipse is when the moon blocks the sun. Luckily, people living or traveling to Western New York will experience the solar eclipse for themselves!

I interviewed Professor Stephen Vermette from the Geosciences department at Buffalo State University about what we can expect.

On April 8, 2024 what is Buffalo going to experience?

Buffalo will experience a total solar eclipse. Total, in that the moon will completely block the sun from view. This is referred to as totality. Totality occurs along a narrow path along the Earth’s surface – Buffalo is pretty much located dead center along this path. Hours before and after you will see the sun partially obstructed but at about 3:18pm the sun will be completely obscured, and day will appear like night! The last time totality was experienced in Buffalo was about 100 years ago, in 1925.

Why or what causes the moon to block the sun on that day?

The moon orbits Earth monthly and when the moon passes between the Earth and the sun it can block sunlight for a short time. Because the moon is smaller than the sun and Earth, it only blocks the sun completely along a narrow path on Earth. And because the moon’s orbit isn’t perfectly round and sometimes closer and further from the Earth, the sun isn’t always blocked. About every six months an area somewhere on the Earth will experience a solar eclipse.

What are some ways to stay safe during the Eclipse?

Many people will be coming to Buffalo to view the eclipse. So, road conditions, due to heavy traffic and congestion, even car stopping on roads to view the eclipse, may make travel more dangerous than usual. So, besides safe viewing practices, my advice is to stay home or near your home to view the eclipse.

How can you view a solar Eclipse safely?

We are taught since childhood not to look directly at the sun. The same for the eclipse. The safest way to look at the eclipse directly is to view with approved, ISO and CE certified, paper solar eclipse glasses. These are being given out by several organizations. Regular sunglasses are not safe. You can only sneak a quick peek without glasses when the moon completely blocks the sun during the period known as totality. While you can take a photo with your cell phone – the internet offers advice about this – you should not look at the eclipse through your phone screen without protection. So, you need to snag a pair of solar eclipse glasses before thinking of viewing the solar eclipse. The internet offers several ways of viewing the eclipse by not looking at the sun but rather its reflection on a surface. Examples are making a pinhole projector or looking at the image of the sun shown on the ground of sunlight coming through the leaves of a tree.

Will it be cloudy on April 8?

It is too early to tell. I can tell you that the hours of possible sunshine increase as we move from winter to summer. December and January are the least sunny, and July is the most. So, April offers improvement over the cloudy winter months. Your question offers a good example of weather vs climatology, as discussed in our meteorology class. Buffalo’s cloud climatology, what you might expect, for April 8th, looking at cloud cover on this date over past years, is not good for eclipse viewing. There is about a 70% chance that clouds may obstruct the view of the sun. If cloudy, the sky will turn dark, but you would not be able to see the sun. However, weather on April 8, 2024 could be clear skies for viewing. There are examples of good weather in the past. So, it is possible we might get a clear day, but the odds are against it.

Eclipse Events Presented by the Whitworth Ferguson Planetarium:

Planetarium Eclipse Programs- Feb. 16 through April 7

This immersive, full dome program uses amazing visualizations to explore historical views of eclipses, the geometry that gives us eclipses, how to safely view a solar eclipse, and a first-hand account of one person’s experience during a total solar eclipse.

Following the full dome program, one of our Planetarium Educators will use our digital planetarium system to demonstrate how the April 8 total solar eclipse will look from here in Buffalo and will answer questions about this once-in-a-lifetime event.

Eclipse & Sips Beer Tasting – March 8 6-9pm

Join your favorite breweries from across WNY for a totality awesome night! You’ll enjoy eclipse themed treats, activities and planetarium shows, and some great eclipse themed merch.

Celebrate one month until the Total Solar Eclipse with beer samples from local breweries, tasty appetizers, and eclipse-themed activities. All attendees also receive eclipse glasses for the big event! Tickets are limited, so don’t be left in the dark!

Light & Dark: Eclipse Music Concert – March 10 2pm & 4pm

Eclipse inspired music in the planetarium. Buffalo will experience the Great North American Solar Eclipse on April 8. Join award-winning ensemble Five by Five as they share original music and immersive video in the planetarium. Concerts are at 2pm and 4pm with a pre-concert talk 30 minutes before each. All tickets are $25 (plus fees) and are extremely limited for this intimate, immersive experience!

Eclipse Fest – April 8 1-5pm

Join us to experience the event of the century! Enjoy eclipse-related activities, entertainment, eclipse swag, and food trucks as you view the total solar eclipse guided by Buffalo State experts. Don’t miss it!

General admission includes eclipse glasses, a commemorative t-shirt, and eclipse souvenirs. VIP tickets have added benefits of reserved parking, reserved seating, an open bar, and more!

No matter what you choose to do, the experience will be out of this world!